Toms angry grinder build, heavy build view!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tomolu5

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Pittsburgh
Soooo, I have been wanting to do this for quite some time, and have finally assembled all the pieces. I am an avid hunter, and normally harvest and butcher several deer every year. In the past I have done as many as 8 in a season, and I almost exclusivley make them into jerky or ground meat. The performance of store bought machines leaves a little to be desired in my book, so why not go totally insane and make a real modern day meat eater. This is what I started with, both craigslist finds, $40 for the grinder(mint condition), and $40 for the motor(1/2 horse with 15:1 gear reduction= 115 rpm and a whole lot of torque)

much to my dismay, all of the bearings/seal were worn beyond their usefullness, so replacements were ordered/donated from shop stock(had about $70 wrapped up here). time out for now, I gotta go watch the rest of the hockey game!

okay, were back, I wanted to slow it down a little bit more, but was talked out of it by my buddy. We came to the conclusion that it could be made a little smaller and safer with a direct drive.

I was just checking my math in the bottom two pictures, measuring this thing for alignment was kind of tedious as the casting and machine work on the grinder was third world at best. a slight misalignment wont be to big of a deal though, because of the low speed, along with the fact that it will be lucky to see more than three hours of annual run time.

Showing some of my measurements here

hear is an assembly shot, notice that the grinder is mounted to a sliding plate for easy tear-down and assembly(my machinist buddies brainchild). The machine work on the motor coupling and the stainless spacers are direct benefits of having a machinist friend.

here is a post polishing shot

nice capacity!!!

I still have to remove the motor support for polishing, and find rubber feet of some sort

I had to grind about .050" off the front feet to get it siting level, again this thing was not cast to be motorized, so alignment can be a challenge. There are not any pictures of it here, But I went to Harbor freight and picked up a foot pedal on-off switch for safety reasons, I figure that's the quickest way to shut it down.

Speaking of challenges, I will now try to figure out how to embed video of it running. I am also planning on running 25lbs or so of pork butt through it next weekend for its maiden voyage, I will take video of that too!

And there you have it. Questions/comments welcome!!

Nice build.  Good to have machinist friends indeed!!!  It was a lot quieter in the video than I expected.

Just be mindful of your fingers.  That short of a feed horn makes it possible to poke one a little too far in and 1/2hp will make quick work of it. 

Yeah that's for sure about the horn, I am gonna try a baby food jar or something for a pusher. Seems like the auger in these big #32s works really well though, they don't need too much in the push department

Many thanks Jeff

Tom

I just ran a little test, figuring a .5"x.5" piece of cherry was at least as strong as a finger, and this thing did not even notice. definitely going to need to use a pusher for this. I am going to try to come up with some way to extend the horn, the challenge there being finding some way to have it be "food clean".

aza2umuh.jpg

Picked up some fodder for the grinder today, should be taking her for a spin tomorrow morning! Video to follow

Many thanks Jeff

Tom

Here is a low buck thought to extend the intake horn.  See if you can find a piece of PVC the same diameter as the top of the horn.  I think that grey electrical conduit PVC would work better for the next part as it seems to be a little more heat flexible.  Use a heat gun (hot air type, not the flame type) to heat the end of the section of PVC to allow it mold around the top of the horn.  I would then cut a couple of short slits in the end you just stretched to fit over the horn.  Then a stainless hose clamp would put pressure on the pipe by compressing the area with the slits below the horn edge to keep it in place.  Should be pretty firmly attached that way but still be removable for cleanup.  Make it as tall as you want and keep those fingers!!!!

Let us know how long it takes (or actually how QUICKLY) for that monster devours that pork.  Going to take longer to trim it and cut into strips/cubes than it will for the grinder to do it's work.

Last edited:

Sorry about the terrible camera work, more to follow, working on a spaghetti pizza now! plus photos of the delightful products made today

that thing is awesome... But damn dude at 2:00 sticking your fingers down in there... I was saying "WHOLLY SHIT, here goes a finger" and right after you said no need for a pusher

Tom, afternoon.....   build and extension from thin wall PVC pipe and cut the meat into smaller chunks.... That HOG will eat humans and their parts.... You know the old saying about hogs and nature calls...  One slip and you won't be playing the piano my friend.... Please post your safety measures and how you did it for others to follow..  That would be a good thing.....   

Dave

Looked a lot deeper than I was actually going in. I was sticking to a 2 inch rule, same as table saws :) do need a pusher for doing a second grind though, with less "meat" to grab it slows the pace considerably. I will have to get somebody else to run camera for me next time though. It will easily run 100 lbs an hour first grind though. I am gonna alter the taper where the auger attaches to the coupling though, it worked itself apart a couple times today.

Many thanks Jeff

Tom

That would have worked, but its already being turned. Removing that taper will make assembly a little easier though. We wanted to have the ability to use the handle if it got stuck, but after seeing it today we aren't really worried about that anymore!

Many thanks Jeff

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky