Thunder Bay safe haven for ships

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
A rare visit of one of the oldest Classics " Lee A. Tregurtha " is back in the Harbour seeking shelter from Gale Force 43 knot winds on the Big Lake (Lake Superior) . She is anchored down towards Bays End off Silver Harbour. She was here in Nov 2020 for the same reason .
The vessel LEE A. TREGURTHA (IMO 5385625, MMSI 366904950) is a Self Discharging Bulk Carrier built in 1942 (82 years old) and currently sailing under the flag of United States (USA).
434483366_3782797948658971_3188451473970249210_n.jpg

That's a big freaking boat, cool picture
Yes it is. Most likely why it decided to hide in the bay from the weather. Its on its way to Duluth but the route it had to take is all open lake and with the wind and waves it would have been a very risky travel.
screenshot-www.marinetraffic.com-2024.04.03-17_43_19.png

Decided to Google her and mind blown. Yeah, that's my town...

We have a channel cut into the Bay that runs parallel to our main pier to get to the coal docks mentioned above. Ships run pretty close to the pier... They are so big that if you sit facing one passing by, it feels as though YOU are moving but the ship is not. Pretty cool stuff and even better at night.

Queen of the Great Lakes still? I’ve seen her pass through Sault Ste. Marie a few times and the Paul R probable 50 times. Prettt seeet ships

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky