Thor's Hammer (Beef Shank) On Sale!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
1686686574694.png

I've NEVER seen this for sale. A giant beef shank, intact, and on the bone!!!
This is on sale at Tom Thumb stores here.

I'll have to try this out as it goes on sale tomorrow :D

I'm thinking a braised dish in the oven. Not going to smoke one of these... maybe. If I did, I would go to like 190F then put in a pan and covered with foil with a little liquid until it was fall apart tender. Similar to a chuck smoke of mine :D

I call shotgun!!! I'm in for the ride. I've never seen or heard of an edible Thor's hammer, or a Tom Thumb grocer.

Chris

Got my interest! I'm long for the ride...
Yeah I'm super curious about it too. Lets see if it looks anything like that at the grocery store lol.

I had to look (mostly from curiosity): the nearest Tom Thumb to me is in Ft. Worth... I think that's about 3hr drive for me... bummer!
Alberston's, Safeway, and Randall's may also have it. They are all basically the same chain and owner.

Maybe one of those is closer and has it on sale! :D

There's a limit of 4 on the coupon. I'm the 3rd replier.....So I think tallbm tallbm can fix us up!! LOL.
I'm in for the cook. I want to see how this goes.

Jim
Hahahaha I wonder how large these things will be. Looking forward to seeing how it is :D

I call shotgun!!! I'm in for the ride. I've never seen or heard of an edible Thor's hammer, or a Tom Thumb grocer.

Chris
Yeah 1st time me seeing it. I love Tom Thumb. No one is ever in there and they have good meat and produce :D

Reactions: JLeonard
I went to pick one up today and the truck hadn't come in so I got chicken breast instead. Maybe in a few days Ill try again to see if they have it in stock :D

I saw Bearded Butchers cook some of these up in an episode awhile back, but don't recall how they did the cook (wasn't in an oven, that I do know), anyhow, I'm along for the ride to see what you do with them.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
I've cooked beef cross-cut shanks but never a whole shank (leg) bone. I smoke the cross cuts for about 2 hours, then braise for another 3 hours. You need to remove from smoker before it dries out, which would be considerably before 190F. Here is one of my music videos on this, with a Reverend Gary Davis tune.

I saw Bearded Butchers cook some of these up in an episode awhile back, but don't recall how they did the cook (wasn't in an oven, that I do know), anyhow, I'm along for the ride to see what you do with them.
Hopefully this can happen. I cook venison and pork shanks and braise them in the oven with a wine, onion, tomato base. They come out amazing!

I've cooked beef cross-cut shanks but never a whole shank (leg) bone. I smoke the cross cuts for about 2 hours, then braise for another 3 hours. You need to remove from smoker before it dries out, which would be considerably before 190F. Here is one of my music videos on this, with a Reverend Gary Davis tune.

Thanks for the info! I tried to smoke a whole venison shank once and it dried up way early. Was thinking a big 6-7 pound beef shank like this may do better but yeah I would definitely keep an eye on it.
My plan is to oven braise it anyhow so it will get covered and be in a pan for sure :)

Also great guitar playing there in the video! :D

Cool video! Yeah gotta braise to some extent it seems. Even when smoking.
Yeah. But I expect the initial smoke definitely added some flavor to the end product. After the first part, grill, smoker or oven is just a heat source for the finish.

Yeah. But I expect the initial smoke definitely added some flavor to the end product. After the first part, grill, smoker or oven is just a heat source for the finish.
Yep for sure! It's wild how much the meat reduces down in size too hahaha. I think tomorrow I will check and see if the store actually got the shanks in stock. If they let me down again, then that may be the end of my search. I have plenty of Venison shank meat in the freezer I could braise and cook in the oven and I don't have to spend any additional meat money in this case :D

Reactions: DougE
I remember my mom braising cut beef shank when I was a kid in the 60's/70's. Probably because they were cheap.
I haven't seen them in stores for years, though. I wonder if they just automatically get selected for hamburger now?

Reactions: jcam222
I remember my mom braising cut beef shank when I was a kid in the 60's/70's. Probably because they were cheap.
I haven't seen them in stores for years, though. I wonder if they just automatically get selected for hamburger now?
One of the places I buy meat has their store ground beef 80/20 that is a combo of chuck and shank.

Reactions: chopsaw
This is on my to do list. Haven't seen them available near me yet.
Check out Whitefeather meats Creston Ohio. (bearded butcher guys) and heffelfingers in ashland might have them or would be willing to cut you up some if you called. Whitefeathers will ship now I do believe!

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky