The Wow You Guys Are Getting the Weather thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluewhisper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 1, 2014
Columbus Ohio
I like to look at the national radar image to see who's getting what kind of weather, and when there's some huge rain system I wonder about everyone trying to smoke in that. Or floods, or blizzards, etc. I've wanted to comment about it before but it would be OT for the thread, so I thought I'd start a dedicated thread for it.

I'll start with Dang Texas, Oklahoma and the lower Mississippi valley, you've been getting hit with rains for how long now, a week?  I always see this huge line of storms streaming up out of Mexico and it's just been sitting on you. Not like a line of thunderstorms that blows across an area.

Yep...Mother Nature has heaped her wrath on us lately. I woke up to water in the house this morning. We managed to shop vac all of it out before much damage...did ruin some carpeting on one end if the house. We're in a lull now, so we're dry...at least for now.

Here in NE Oklahoma we've had as much as 6+ inches of rain in the last 24 hours in some places, with a lot more headed our way today. Heavy flooding in the Tulsa area. At my house we got over 3 inches since 6 o'clock last night.

Red

Last edited:
Not quite Texas but we've been getting a ridiculous amount of rain here in the eastern Wyoming area. It had rained at least 2 days a week for the last month and a half. My region gets an average of 13" of rain a year and we got 8" in the month of May alone. Right now a smaller river near me is flooding, but no serious damage.

To go along with all the rain, 2 weeks ago yesterday (Saturday) we had a blizzard. It was nasty with 18" of snow and horrible black ice roads. Then, that next Friday, it was 80 degrees and we had tornados.

As far as smoking goes, if I can get the charcoal lit while there's a lull in the reason, I'm good to go, otherwise I have to hook up the propane attachment and run that way.

I was involved in some regional planning for the upper Scioto valley in central and northwest Ohio. Their long-term climate models strongly suggest we will have more intense precipitation events, between longer periods of drought. So their focus will be readiness to store downpours and catch runoff with basins, etc., before it enters the storm sewers and streams.

It's been just a wee bit damp outside....

th_HaHAAHaa.gif

Denver metro has had some rain or snow all but 2 days this month. Every thing is really green around here but I am ready for it to dry out. Guess the good thing is I still need to fix some yard sprinklers but it has been to Damn wet to dig them up. Enjoying a lull to do some bone in ribeyes now

Our days have been pretty consistent for the most part.  Wake up to over cast skies.  Sun may or may not break out sometime during the day.  Early afternoon the rain comes, followed by hail and most times followed by snow.  Normally wake up in the morning with snow/hail on the ground but it melts off and then it all starts again.

I feel like I live in Ireland not northern Colorado. The pastures are all a foot thick and I forgot what the sun looks like.

Planted the garden yesterday 3 weeks late. We got a half day break from the rain. Muddy mess. I still haven't run my sprinklers this year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky