The Raccoon & New Chix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Last week at 11p a raccoon got into the run and killed my banty rooster and injured 2 hens. I had to dispatch the hens. I been putting the chickens in the coop before dark. Last night I heard the chickens in the coop having a fit, the coon was running around the coop.... "BANG" went the 12g and no more coon.

I do have some copper marans, and few others in the brooder down in basement.

IMG_7622.JPG

Hmm.....I'm sure with a quick google search you can come up with a recipe for 'coon! Great job protecting the cluckers.

Jim

Reactions: Timber II
I feel bad for the chickens that got hurt/killed. The coon got what they deserved! Nice work.

Dave

Last week at 11p a raccoon got into the run and killed my banty rooster and injured 2 hens. I had to dispatch the hens. I been putting the chickens in the coop before dark. Last night I heard the chickens in the coop having a fit, the coon was running around the coop.... "BANG" went the 12g and no more coon.

I do have some copper marans, and few others in the brooder down in basement.

View attachment 689749
should have been last week, you could have entered coon stew!

• Haha
Reactions: KBFlyer
Next question is...did you figure out how the coon got into the coop? Got a idea on how to fix it?
Dug in under the run, took the chickens that were roosting on the bar inside the run. 6 bags of redi crete to put in under the lower run bars.

I have till the 29th to harvest coon, but being on my property its year round.

Reactions: indaswamp
Awhile back my little barn cat had a racoon treed up on the post of our front deck. Coon up top clinging for dear life, cat at the bottom without a care in the world. Cat ran him off to the ditch and we haven't seen that racoon since. Lol 😂

I ate a few coon before I became a trapper and skinned a few hundred a year…more than half have worms like bing in their joints - no more smoked coon for me lol Those duke traps work great for coon that Doug suggested - but I’ve caught plenty of skunks and possums in them too.
Good luck
Timber

Those duke traps work great for coon that Doug suggested - but I’ve caught plenty of skunks and possums in them too.
I wouldn't be opposed to catching either of those, too, but getting a now dead skunk out of it might not be much fun at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky