tender loins

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jason wilson

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
LUSK, WYOMING
OK so for thanksgiving i decided to do up some deer tenderloins i smoked them for 5hours before we had to go check core temp it was 140f so we got to her moms and i through them in the oven to finish them off they were really juicy before when i pulled them out of the oven they were dry wasn't in very long plus they had a chalky taste kind of like liver ? i don't know why this happened i thought they would have been like chops not like liver

every one loved them they didn't last very long taste was excellent other than the chalk (after taste) i didn't like them that was the problem.

Sounds like the bulk of the problem was overcooking. Did you use any kind of Marinade or Meat Tenderizer like Adolf's as these can give a chalky texture...JJ

I prepared them like i would steak and chops sea salt cracked peppercorn  extra virgin olive oil on one did a rub on another and a BBQ sauce on another the only thing i could think of was the oven 300f for about 20 min just to bump up the core temp that's were they got dry i didn't know if that's were i could have got the chalky taste from or not though

over cooking,   deer is very lean 98% fat free so without the fat the meat dries out faster,   smoking them for 5 hrs is most likely where it dried out.

just to clarify tender loin,    was it the back strap/ loin,   or the 2 tender loins on the inside of the cavity  shown outlined in the pic below.

Shoulda named this thread 'not so' tender loins. LOL

Pretty safe to assume he's talking the backstraps...  either way for venison, I don't ever measure temperature, to me it's about determining how it's cooked by touch, as I don't like to poke a hole in vension as it lets juices out.  That's not a big deal for pork or beef....

I wouldn't ever recommend venison cooked over medium rare, in fact, I'd recommend between rare and medium rare.  That's how we like it...juicy.  Otherwise, yeah, it can be not so desirable. 

I like a cold smoke, vac seal and fridge, then a quick sear and lower the temp on the grill.

Reactions: jason wilson
i thought back strap too,    tenderloins are pretty small in a deer,    Med to Med rare,   another good way is to lard the loin then marinate for a day then smoke it,    some time id like to get a larding tool

If you need to transport smoked tenderloins, try this trick I use for brisket and butts.  Double wrap them in foil and put in a cooler that you've lined with some old towels.  Keep them wrapped tightly in the towels and your meat will stay warm for hours.  I know that for a brisket, the flavor and tenderness improves greatly and it would probably do the same for venison.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky