Temp vs time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kazoo

Original poster
Aug 23, 2016
Been smoking for a while, but still trying to learn how to do it better.

Other than a shorter period of time, what are the pros and cons of smoking a brisket [or any other cut of meat for that matter] between 200 - 225 and 230 - 250?

I know that this looks like splitting hairs. Two weeks ago, I smoked a 5 lb brisket flat at the higher temps, around 250. Came out moist and fork tender. Previously, smoked brisket between 210-220, with hit-n-miss results. Used a Maverick 732 thermometer both times.

When prices settle down, will buy a packer, then split into flat and point. Not too anxious to pay near $100 for a 15lb packer at this time.

Any help or insights are greatly appreciated.

I find the pro of the shorter time hard to overcome.

I've noticed no difference (in my units) of running 275 vs 225 except for the massive time savings. If I'm really in a pinch I'll run 275, then wrap, and run it up to 325/350 while it's wrapped even.

225 is no magic number. I havnt smoked at that temp on years.

I've got things to do lol

Reactions: JC in GB
I find the pro of the shorter time hard to overcome.

I've noticed no difference (in my units) of running 275 vs 225 except for the massive time savings.
Same. no cons seen. and no more overnight cooks. I run my briskets at 275 consistently now.

When prices settle down, will buy a packer, then split into flat and point.
I hope you mean after the cook??? I would cook it whole if at all possible.

I hope you mean after the cook??? I would cook it whole if at all possible.

I would too, except a whole packer won't fit in my MES 30 unless I separate the flat from the point. Then I cook it with the point just above the flat. That way the flat gets all the drippings off the point. They both come out great using that method.
Gary

I got stuck on 225 for years because I thought that's what I was supposed to do.

These days I generally smoke around 240-250 on the MES and for skin on poultry I set the MES to 275.On the WSM I can go much higher if I want .

Reactions: fivetricks
I dont have any exact scientific evidence measured but I think that stuff that sits out less time comes out juicier. My theory is that it has less time to dry up the juices so if cooking hotter and finishing faster at the temps we smoke at, then u get a juicier product the faster it comes out.

Again just what i feel like happens but havent run any exact tests and measured things consistently

There is a difference. If your Brisket spends 20 hours, in the smoker, at 225 and 10 hours at 275, they both will be tender and juicy, but the 225 Brisket will taste smokier. You may not notice on any one cook but taste side by side, the next day, and you will taste the difference...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky