Sweet Italian Sausage and New Grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Final got to use new grinder. Wow does that thing work great and so fast! Thanks Rich, chopsaw chopsaw for all your help buddy. Decided to just go with AC Leggs this time. Used 1 Tbsp per pound and added cure and Sodium Erythorbate. If there are other AC Leggs I should try let me know.

IMG_20240626_080159372.jpg

Froze meat for 30 minutes:

IMG_20240626_074510286.jpg

Wanted to try both plates and they both worked great: Also have a 10 mm to use yet.

IMG_20240626_074701080.jpg IMG_20240626_075004379.jpg

This is how I been mixing in my seasoning. Not sure if this is needed or just add to mixer?

IMG_20240626_075149204.jpg

Still not sure what to look for for protein extraction but here it is:

IMG_20240626_075629664.jpg

Will let sit overnight and do a fry test. Not sure if going to put any of this in links or just leave in bulk?

Last edited:
Wow does that thing work great and so fast!
It's a great grinder . Should last you a long time .
This is how I been mixing in my seasoning. Not sure if this is needed or just add to mixer?
I hand mix all mine . That's about how I do it . Some guys mix it with the liquid , but I layer mine in dry and mix . Then add the liquid a little at a time until it gets sticky .
Still not sure what to look for for protein extraction but here it is:
That's what you're looking for .
added cure and Sodium Erythorbate.
Watch adding the Erythorbate to a store bought mix . A lot of them have it in the mix already .
It's not listed on the 101 bag , but just a heads up for next time . I normally add it only if I'm mixing from scratch . I add it to set and hold the color . I'm not worried about the cure part of it .
Not sure what push stick came with yours , but the one that came with mine was useless .
I bought the one in this picture from Cabelas . Don't need it very much , but it's a big upgrade over the one that came with mine .
20221025_090254.jpg

Congrats on the grinder!

I love using the KA mixer for mixing, so easy to clean and great extraction, fast.

Never had Italian sausage with cure1 in it, wonder how the taste will change, more hammy I'd guess!

Last edited:
Watch adding the Erythorbate to a store bought mix
Thanks Rich. I a rookie and still trying to figure this stuff out.
Not sure what push stick came with yours , but the one that came with mine was useless .
It worked good. Really not to much pushing.
Never had Italian sausage with cure1 in it, wonder how the taste will change, more hammy I'd guess!
I new to this and still trying to figure this stuff out.
Looks great Brian. Nice work. And a good looking grind.
Thanks Eric and for all your help. So when should you add cure to sausage? When don't you do protein extraction?
For italian I don't think I need protein extraction. Everyone has different tastes, but I'm cool with loosey goosey 'hamburger texture' on italian. I grind 1x coarse, season, grind again
I'm a rookie and still have a lot to learn.

I assume there are different levels of extraction so to speak? In other words I'd have thought if doing Italian sausage you'd want less extraction than if something something like Dutch loaf?
I suppose if you knew the entire batch would be fried loose and no patties, links, meatballs or loafs would be made, you could mix much less, but for me I like the versatility of doing different things with the same batch. The protein extraction still fries up just fine and works for everything else, I see no downside. I also feel you get a better overall flavor by mixing the spices in so well. Ymmv.

Did my fry test and its pretty good. Could use a tad more seasoning but that would of made it salty. Guess thats the nice thing about making your own but it is good. I did add some pepper flakes. I am on my journy now. Thanks to everyone that has helped out along the way. Next need to make some Chorizo.

Grinding is fun
We are low salt but full flavor here.
The other nice thing about home seasoning mix is taking out the sugars. My experience is reducing the salt reduces the need for sugars

Reactions: Timber II
Did my fry test and its pretty good. Could use a tad more seasoning but that would of made it salty.
You said above that you used 1 TBLS per pound .
Ask the meatman suggest 3 TBLS per 5 pounds of grind , so you should be in the ballpark , or at the limit for the salt .
The bag looks different , but it's the same thing . That's why they put the blend number on the bags .

I think you'll find that it will get better as it sits , even frozen .
I keep several ingredients on hand , so I add the store bought mix as suggested , then add fennel , anise or whatever else . Pecorino or parm is a good flavor boost . So is basil or garlic .

Reactions: Timber II
You said above that you used 1 TBLS per pound .
Ask the meatman suggest 3 TBLS per 5 pounds of grind , so you should be in the ballpark , or at the limit for the salt .
The bag looks different , but it's the same thing . That's why they put the blend number on the bags .

I think you'll find that it will get better as it sits , even frozen .
I keep several ingredients on hand , so I add the store bought mix as suggested , then add fennel , anise or whatever else . Pecorino or parm is a good flavor boost . So is basil or garlic .
Yeah it was borderline to salty. The flavor is good, better than store bought. I will be making some Yellow Squash Lasagna with it. Took a look at that guys site. Thanks for that. Truck going in for hail damage and yesterday picked up a huge piece of rubber that stuck to rear tire. Cant believe how big of area it got! This sucks! Dont want to file another claim. Will see what body shop says to fix it. Just cant keep anything nice.:emoji_disappointed:

IMG_20240628_065230501.jpg
IMG_20240628_065240651.jpg
IMG_20240628_065248668.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky