Sure glad I like Tomatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Honey, how many tomato plants do we really need? Wife is a master gardener who has gone crazy in our yard with so many plants, veggies & fruit. Currently she has 16 tomato plants with 9 different varieties. My favorite is cherry tomatoes, especially those that I pick right off the plant and woof down as I'm walking out to the shop.

Since we have two very large Oak trees that block the majority of the sun in our backyard, we are faced to put most of the plants in wine barrels and other types of large pots.

Our front yard is loaded with a variety of native plants and a couple squash plants.

20E1A458-FAEC-4732-AB9C-19910F5040DF.jpeg
F8ED0F4B-CFF9-4E8C-AA18-2E3331DD0AF1.jpeg
2E1417A3-25DE-407C-B45B-556D9430D62A.jpeg
1E7E8910-4DB7-46BF-8B64-F0F1E749ACEA.jpeg
5946F40D-168C-462D-8002-7F6EBF3D8437.jpeg
B27F0093-4280-459A-A94A-43BD1ACA1228.jpeg

Oh and here's Beary guarding my shop with his Silver club
DEAE97EB-5841-4351-AF98-AAA51DB43A1E.jpeg

And what fruit/veggies are you growing this year?

Last edited:
Nothing like a sun warmed right off the vine 'mater. Lil salt and pepper and eat it like peach. looks like you better get handy at canning. LOL.
Jim

Really nice setup . What a comforting space .
My Daughter has cherry maters in an Aero garden in the laundry room . Picked probably 75 so far this year . I also planted one for her outside . It's going crazy .
1655584507889.jpeg
I had Jalapenos in another one , along with some Carolina Reapers . Had to plant the reapers outside . Picked a couple dozen Jap's so far .
1655584470175.jpeg
I have a couple green bell outside also , but nothing like you have .
I really like that set up you have . Very nice .

Reactions: gmc2003
Wow we haven't had a garden in years. Between work and the kids growing up. We just never found the time time maintain one Lucky for us our neighbors are very generous. I do remember growing peas and none of them every making it into the house. Pick and eat.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Garden not doing well here in Ohio. First year I had everything planted before Memorial day (last week of May is target date) Had to water in May. Now it's been really wet the past few weeks. Tomatoes and peppers are struggling. Best ones are the cherry tomatoes I grow in planters. Still early....hoping they take root

RG

Garden not doing well here in Ohio. First year I had everything planted before Memorial day (last week of May is target date) Had to water in May. Now it's been really wet the past few weeks. Tomatoes and peppers are struggling. Best ones are the cherry tomatoes I grow in planters. Still early....hoping they take root

RG
First year I didn’t do a garden in Ohio here at the house since 2010. Wet springs , worn out soil etc really just dragged the results down last couple years. Decided to give the soil a break. I’m going to work on the soil this year. I miss the 30+ tomato plants I usually have.

I'm like you not enough sun on the garden anymore, so we just do some pot cherry tomatoes. Mostly for walk by eating is what I like .
But the Cherry , Apple, and Pear trees are looking good so far this year.

And the highbush Blueberry plants will be quite full this year also

Now just use the veg garden plot for my Rhubarb and digging worms for fishing lol

Back yard 2.JPG

Once the leaves are out back yard very shadowed

David

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky