Sunday Good day /Bad day. Need a little advice , but I think I know. Damn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Personally because salt and cure #1 are both involved, I would sniff it, if it smells good roll with it. Not all that many years ago people were brining meats with no refrigeration. Obviously they used the winter months for natural temps but they still had very little control of the temps, if it got a little warm in the day it would cool off at night. I honestly would not toss if they smell good (and I’d bet they do)

Yes Eric, I kept going back and forth, also because that is how pickled meat used to be in a barrel in the old country stores.

And it was hard to tell as the looked like pork in a 7 day brine and you could only smell the spices.

They are gone and starting a few new ones tomorrow once the pork is thawed out go into the bucket of brine ( ha ha yes a new batch of brine. )

David

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I'm with the others.....If its weighing on your mind that much I'd toss. Hate to lose the meat and time, but being sick from bad meat will take a lot more money and time from you!

Jim

Yes Jim , it did and so I did .

I have had food poisoning before . No fun at all.

David

Reactions: JLeonard
Good and bad is right, 2 yr old fridge should not even be a worry. Just looked , there are numerous WiFi thermometers with WiFi /phone capability. I do have fridge /freezer alarms but does me zero good if gone for a couple days. May need to invest.

Yes , it should last a lot more than 2 years. Now it sits in the shop. But even if I think I fix the cord if that is what it is , I will still wonder if it will stop or worse catch on fire or something.

Boy am I ever a nervous nelly as I get older. lol

David

Woudnt say that. More a older and wiser situation. I look back over my teens and 20s and think..."I should be dead!"

Jim

I hear you there, many things even as doing, I say what am I thinking. This is not worth what the pay is for this job if it goes sideways.
And no one forcing me , just not thinking right.

Late on a Friday afternoon is when most of the stupid things happen on job sites, ( Shortcut danger times )

David

It was POP's brine and with the extra pickling spice to corn it .

I could not get it out of my mind , so I did tossed it . As today was green bin day ( compost truck )
You are right I would always think of it when I went to eat it .

BUT I DON'T KNOW WHY I did not think of that Keep it for bait, I'm an ass. lol
Would have made good lobster , and shark bait, we like to chum for them just to watch them, no hooks for the sharks . Just lots of splashing

Thanks for the input.

David
lol, you brought back a great memory with that! When I was a youngster I lived in Arkansas. I had a fishing buddy that kept a chunk of salt pork in his boat. 100F during the day or 32F during the day, there was always a chunk of salt pork. I wouldn't eat it of course, but the trick was to use little bits of salt pork on a hook to catch bream to use as bait. When we couldn't catch bream and the catfish wouldn't bite a worm or stink bait, we would resort to slightly larger pieces on larger hooks to catch channel cats. Sometimes a blue would even take it.

We have CRS sometimes (can't remember S#!^) but hey, we are smart and good looking (at least to our prettier halves) so to heck with our memory!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
lol, you brought back a great memory with that! When I was a youngster I lived in Arkansas. I had a fishing buddy that kept a chunk of salt pork in his boat. 100F during the day or 32F during the day, there was always a chunk of salt pork. I wouldn't eat it of course, but the trick was to use little bits of salt pork on a hook to catch bream to use as bait. When we couldn't catch bream and the catfish wouldn't bite a worm or stink bait, we would resort to slightly larger pieces on larger hooks to catch channel cats. Sometimes a blue would even take it.

We have CRS sometimes (can't remember S#!^) but hey, we are smart and good looking (at least to our prettier halves) so to heck with our memory!

Ha ha , love that . I am going to use that CRS, and thats for sure about our prettier half. Because I'm not as cute as I thought I was.

Good story, yes never eat boat bait, 🤮 . We love fishing and catching anything is just fun, unless it is a 8+ foot shark that you were not prepared for .

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky