Summer sausage stall?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dewitte

Original poster
Dec 5, 2023
Started deer sausage at 5 am yesterday it’s now been 26 hrs temp is 150

16# deer 3 pounds pig fat 2 quarts water with cure I used summer sausage seasoning stuffed in a baloney case then a couple meat blocks just laying on the rack started it at 130 with water in the pan after 3 hrs 150 then 175 then after 12 hrs 176 then this morning set to 180 and poured out the water pan meats at 150 now

Started deer sausage at 5 am yesterday it’s now been 26 hrs temp is 150

16# deer 3 pounds pig fat 2 quarts water with cure I used summer sausage seasoning stuffed in a baloney case then a couple meat blocks just laying on the rack started it at 130 with water in the pan after 3 hrs 150 then 175 then after 12 hrs 176 then this morning set to 180 and poured out the water pan meats at 150 now
26 hours and your just at 150*. If my math is right you have 19lbs?
What smoker are you using? Most small smokers struggle with large pounds of meat....And yes stall is going to happen but usually around 130-140ish

Ummm thats your call on what you want to do.

26 hours and your just at 150*. If my math is right you have 19lbs?
What smoker are you using? Most small smokers struggle with large pounds of meat....And yes stall is going to happen but usually around 130-140ish

Ummm thats your call on what you want to do.
MES 140 I’m thinking to just let it go until this afternoon then give up and eat it . Could I have had too much moisture in the smoker

Unless I mis-understand or there's a typo, 2 Qt's water in 19 lbs meat mix is way too much.
Once it starts to steam off, it creates a cooling effect (hence the stall) heat is leaving the meat as fast as you are applying it. This is going to be a LONG stall.
2 choices, ride it out, however long it takes or pull it and deal with the overly moist product. I should be safe after all this time at 150 with cure.

Reactions: dewitte
As long as you added the correct amount of cure the meat is fine... maybe just overly moist. The meat doesn't have to get to 152 or 156... there is a table listed in sausage section I believe that has pasteurization times and temps. Some here may hold their sausage at 140 for a specified amount of time.
As far as it being too moist you can wrap it in butcher paper or brown paper bags and keep it in the fridge for a few days to help dry it out.

Ryan

Reactions: poacherjoe
I tried to post some picks but it says security problem so the bologna size log is good the meat blocks are ok too but a little dry

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky