Summer Sausage Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ty Lopez

Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I just received "Summer Sausage" mix from The Sausage Maker store. It contains fermento. My real question is, do I only need to add this product and done? I don't want to poison anyone. Or, do I still need to do a fermentation?

It is on the jar that states to add 8oz of the mix for a 10lb recipe. I was going to use 75% beef, 25% pork using chuck and butt.

Do you have seasonings, casings, cure#1... No fermentation required.. the fermento adds the "tang" fermenting would bring to the party...

The SS kit from sausage maker is listed below... The cure#1 needs to be measured... do not add the entire packet...

The great American Summer Sausage! Using a time-proven seasoning that has consistently been a Sausage Maker best-seller, this kit will ensure a successful and delicious summer sausage. Regardless of what meat is used, this kit will bring out the best taste and quality possible.

Contains 5 Fibrous Casings 3" x 24"

Kit consists of:

Summer Sausage Seasoning
Hog Rings and Pliers
Insta Cure No. 1
Hickory Liquid Smoke
Sausage Pricker

Makes 25 Lbs.

Contains Seasoning which contains Fermento (Milk Product).

I only received the jar of seasoning. Guess I need to find the cure #1.

Follow the directions on the jar . It should tell you what to add . Right , the cure is NOT in the mix , and it might also tell you to add soy , or nfdm powder , and an amount of liquid . Sausage maker directions can be generic .

If you have zip ties, hog rings and pliers are not necessary... I use electric fence wire to tie off my sausage...
Check back with any questions... We are glad to help out.....

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky