Summer Sausage Encapsulated Citric Acid

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bob2

Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
Hello, I am a beginner here. I made this recipe once and it turned out good but no tang -

I just got some Encapsulated Citric Acid from Walton's and my question was how to modify this recipe for using ECA? The recipe calls for

Lowfat cultured Buttermilk,
sugar to help with fermenting
2 tblsp non-fat dry milk for binding and to help with fermenting

I was thinking I would replace the buttermilk with water and eliminate the sugar addition, but keep the non-fat dry milk for binding?
My plan was to grind and mix all spices and cure (prague powder #1) and let sit overnight in the fridge in a bus tub, covered. I thought an overnight sit would be good for the spices to set in and for binding, and I'm paranoid about the cure doing its job.
Then next morning I would hand mix the ECA and immediately stuff and smoke.

I may do a double batch, half with jalapenos and cheese, so I could just try the ECA on one of the batches. Would love to hear anyone's opinions or experience with the ECA. Thanks

Hello, I am a beginner here. I made this recipe once and it turned out good but no tang -

I just got some Encapsulated Citric Acid from Walton's and my question was how to modify this recipe for using ECA? The recipe calls for

Lowfat cultured Buttermilk,
sugar to help with fermenting
2 tblsp non-fat dry milk for binding and to help with fermenting

I was thinking I would replace the buttermilk with water and eliminate the sugar addition, but keep the non-fat dry milk for binding?
My plan was to grind and mix all spices and cure (prague powder #1) and let sit overnight in the fridge in a bus tub, covered. I thought an overnight sit would be good for the spices to set in and for binding, and I'm paranoid about the cure doing its job.
Then next morning I would hand mix the ECA and immediately stuff and smoke.

I may do a double batch, half with jalapenos and cheese, so I could just try the ECA on one of the batches. Would love to hear anyone's opinions or experience with the ECA. Thanks
Skip the buttermilk as it will impart with the ECA. Skip the sugar as it will not ferment ECA.
NOTE: Adding to much ECA will make your mix mushy. Add before stuffing.
ECA will release between 141-147*. Use at 1 level tsp per pound of meat.

1a. If you dont want to fridge your meat for the cure to work as per the books say (blah) you can add Sodium Erythorbate to accelerate the process and stuff right away.

1a. If you dont want to fridge your meat for the cure to work as per the books say (blah) you can add Sodium Erythorbate to accelerate the process and stuff right away.

The manufacturer (Walton's) says I can do the same with ECA - skip the overnight because it's a cure accelerator, but I thought I would let the Cure set in overnight to be safe anyways. Maybe I should just do it all at once.

I did the normal overnight cure thing. Then mixed in the EECA just before stuffing. Came out fine.

I did the normal overnight cure thing. Then mixed in the EECA just before stuffing. Came out fine.

Thanks, what did you think of the ECA - did it give it more tang? Is it worth doing?

Thanks, what did you think of the ECA - did it give it more tang? Is it worth doing?

I only added 3 tsp for 5 pounds of meat. It added some tang. Which I liked. The next batch I'll add 4 tsp. The reason I did this way was because I've heard some say that 5 tsp was a bit overpowering. So, I believe 4 tsp for 5 pounds of meat will be right. I think it is worth doing.

I've also heard of people liking fermento. It costs a bit more. But is quite popular as well.

I have made SS and sticks with and without. I definitely prefer to use it EXCEPT when I use a sweet mix like a Honey BBQ stick mix. There’s just something about the sweet and the tang combo that I don’t care for. I use the 1tsp per lb ratio and I like it. My wife, otoh, doesn’t care for any tang. You might want to make a couple of chubs with different ratios of ECA and see what you like. As mentioned, I wouldn’t use any buttermilk with ECA. I do use NFDM.

Reactions: Steve H
I called Walton's and they definitely say to stuff and smoke right away using this, and had never heard of anyone mixing without the ECA and doing an overnight rest, then mixing it the next day so maybe I'll just do it how they advise all at once

Here's a good read for the distant past

I wasn't impressed with the fermento product, but have used liquid cultured buttermilk with pretty good results.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky