Stuffing tube size question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meatstick

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I usually use the 21mm casings for snack sticks. However, I want to try a small diameter stix. I plan to use 10mm stuffing tube with 18mm collagen casings with my 5lb. vertical hand crank stuffer from Cabelas. Anyone use this set up? tube/casings size and any problems with it? I just wonder if the new tube will fit by stuffer and if there will be any issues with getting the meat to come out that small of a diameter. Thanks in advance.

I use 16mm collagen cases which fit on my 1/2" 13mm OD tube. The meat needs to be wet to flow through the smaller tube but it does with a little force. Not the easiest to crank. Sure takes a long time to empty a 12 pound stuffer stuffing these little cases but they make great sized snack sticks.

Reactions: meatstick
for 15-16mm you will need a 3/8" OD tube (9.5mm)

for larger 17-21mm you can use a 7/16" OD (10mm)

It will work for the casings, but whether it will work on your stuffer will depend on the width of the tubes base.

It will work for the casings, but whether it will work on your stuffer will depend on the width of the tubes base.
Right.
Most of the smaller tube sizes have a base for a 5lb stuffer. I have seen bases for larger stuffers.

1/2" OD is ~13mm... it would be tight... VERY tight... I use 16mm OD tube on 21 MM casings for sticks.. I can stuff about 30" of collagen casing.. PITA but it works...

So I have been reading up on 16 mm size casings. It seems they are about the size of a #2 pencil. I wanted something a little bigger than than. I'm thinking 17 mm instead of 18mm. Would 17 mm produce about a 3/8" diameter finished snack stick? My problem is I have only used 21 mm casings and I think they are to big. Trying to find something in between without causing a PITA while stuffing.

The sticks I made with 16mm cases are bigger then a pencil. I'll get a package out of the freezer tonight and take a size pic for you.

My pen is about 3/8"
i.php

Stick is all of 1/2" and pushing 5/8"
i.php

i.php

i.php

Thanks Muddydogs I really appreciate it. That is very helpful.

I use 16mm collagen cases which fit on my 1/2" 13mm OD tube. The meat needs to be wet to flow through the smaller tube but it does with a little force. Not the easiest to crank. Sure takes a long time to empty a 12 pound stuffer stuffing these little cases but they make great sized snack sticks.
Same here, but I only have a 5# stuffer. They do make nice sized sticks.

Update... I stuff and smoked 25lbs of goose sticks this past weekend. I went with 17 mm casings and happy they way they turned out. Thanks again for all the info.
Stix - 2.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky