Spatchcock Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BldEagle

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
So this is how I found this forum! Earlier this week I decided I was going to try smoking a chicken and searched for a brine to use, and next thing I knew I had spent hours here. Fortunately, I was able to decide on one and so last night I made it and got today's smoke prep started.

The marinade I decided on is the Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles. I opened up my chicken and let it soak overnight. This afternoon I picked up some BBQ Spot Rub Some Chicken, just to try something a little different.

I know that I'm not really staying on track with my chicken story but that's how things go. So in my hours spent reading all of the great info everyone here shares I came across tons of threads on how people have made mods on their smokers. I really don't have many complaints about my Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Combo, but I have worried about how much direct heat my meat gets. Which made the thought of having a baffle very interesting. After a bit more research, and watching videos, I decided today I would try making one. I saw a video where a guy, with a OKJ Longhorn, took the food grates from the smoker box and wrapped them in foil and set them up like any other baffle. Sounded like a great idea to me! But with a cooking chamber half the size, I decided to only use one of the grates. Hopefully it works.

Back to the chicken.

I use charcoal to get my bed of coals started then it's just wood. Today I'm using Oak and Hickory and holding a temp around 270. I'll probably turn it up in an hour or so, we'll see.
IMG_2905.jpg
IMG_2907.jpg
IMG_2910.jpg
IMG_2909.jpg
IMG_2911.jpg
IMG_2912.jpg
IMG_2913.jpg

Welcome . I have a whole bird I injected and sunk in a curing brine . Gonna cook it on Sunday . Make sure you post some pics of the final result .

Reactions: BldEagle
Welcome . I have a whole bird I injected and sunk in a curing brine . Gonna cook it on Sunday . Make sure you post some pics of the final result .
Very nice! I’ll have to try that too.

7F6DE00C-F734-4376-B241-42704D9E5F05.jpeg
0BE1C676-5097-4573-8A2C-3AE938BB6D14.jpeg
The bird turned out great! It spent about 3 hours in the smoker, then I pulled it out it in foil and finished it on the gas side, breast down. The thought was that maybe it would crisp up the skin a little. It did not. I had to get the kids at the bus stop, so I pulled it out a little late, 192°. It was still plenty moist and delicious. That brine made one of the most flavorful chickens I’ve ever had. Here are some pics.

Nice job I have never spatchcocked a chicken may have to try it some day
Richie
Thanks Tropics, it was really good and definitely worth it. The meat practically fell off the bone. I still have some room for improvement, so I’ll be doing again.

How do u buy your wood or do U get it yourself? I get all my own. Got about 7 cords in smoking wood

How do u buy your wood or do U get it yourself? I get all my own. Got about 7 cords in smoking wood
Nice! I wish I could get my own. We don’t have oak up here in Alaska so I have to buy it from a guy who gets it shipped up here. We do have a lot of birch, though I’m not sure how good that would be.

I sell my woods my self aswell. Let me know it u need some. How about alder do u have that?

I sell my woods my self aswell. Let me know it u need some. How about alder do u have that?
I'm always up for other options to get wood. Although I doubt it'll be worth the shipping costs for you. I think I paid $60 for 2 cf, think you can beat that shipped to 99709? We do have alder, I haven't gone out to look for any yet though. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for them when we get some leaves on the trees again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky