Sous vied then smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sdp1234

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
I’m checking on food safety when mixing Sous vied with smoking. I’m cooking bottom round at 132 for 21 hours in-the Sous vied. If I rapidly chill in ice and water can I then smoke it from 34 degrees up to 125 then rapidly chill again before slicing for roast beef?

I have done Prime rib the opposite way. Cold smoke then sous vide to temp. Really gives the smoke time to travel through the meat.

Smoke at 180°F+, and you should have no issues...JJ

I am going the reverse of that, smoked my pastrami to 145 and now have it in the SV , will keep it there till it hits the perfect temp I hope lol. I feel I will get better smoke flavor by smoking first. testing is always fun. good luck

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky