SoFlaQuer's Mustard Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vayank5150

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Richmond, VA
I've seen alot of different inputs on this type of sauce, which happens to be one of my all time favorites. I love it on ribs and certain smoked pork. Most standard recipes I have found to be too vinegary or bland. It has taken me years to perfect this recipe to my taste. Too much of this, or not enough of that can ruin this type of sauce very easily. So I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

SoFlaQuer's Carolina Mustard Sauce

¾ Cup Yellow Mustard
¾ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
½ Cup White Sugar
3 Tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tsp. Salt
½ Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
½ Tsp. Soy Sauce
½ Tsp. Tabasco Sauce
1½ Tsp. Course Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp. White Pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend. Bring to boil, then lower to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.

TIP: I use a handheld upright blender at the simmer point to really give it a good blend and aerate the sauce. It makes for a much smoother finished product!

Now, first off, I am NOT a cook nor a chef, but when I attempted to duplicate this sauce on Saturday, while the flavor was outstanding, mine ended up with the consistency of nearly spackle.  Does "simmer for 30 minutes" mean a slow and low boil?  I am concerned that perhaps I caramelized the sauce accidentally.  Or....is it supposed to be that thick?  Thanks in advance.

I've seen alot of different inputs on this type of sauce, which happens to be one of my all time favorites. I love it on ribs and certain smoked pork. Most standard recipes I have found to be too vinegary or bland. It has taken me years to perfect this recipe to my taste. Too much of this, or not enough of that can ruin this type of sauce very easily. So I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

SoFlaQuer's Carolina Mustard Sauce

¾ Cup Yellow Mustard
¾ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
½ Cup White Sugar
3 Tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tsp. Salt
½ Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
½ Tsp. Soy Sauce
½ Tsp. Tabasco Sauce
1½ Tsp. Course Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp. White Pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend. Bring to boil, then lower to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.

TIP: I use a handheld upright blender at the simmer point to really give it a good blend and aerate the sauce. It makes for a much smoother finished product!

Now, first off, I am NOT a cook nor a chef, but when I attempted to duplicate this sauce on Saturday, while the flavor was outstanding, mine ended up with the consistency of nearly spackle.  Does "simmer for 30 minutes" mean a slow and low boil?  I am concerned that perhaps I caramelized the sauce accidentally.  Or....is it supposed to be that thick?  Thanks in advance.
since your main 2 liquid ingredients are mustard (which is already thickened) and vinegar...i could see how cooking it down would make it like a paste-like. you could try just combining all and not cooking down, or maybe a little more vinegar to thin it out.

Another thing you can try is cut the mustard in half and replace with mustard seed or powder.

just my 2 cents

Reactions: vayank5150
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky