So....More Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoke-N-Beer

Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
UpState NY
I picked up a couple turkey legs and wings, also a whole chicken weighing about 7lbs. I plan on smoking all of it this weekend. Taking a break from hunting this weekend, so why not get the smoker going?
Any tips on how long to smoke this stuff?
Thank you in advance for any replies and help.

I don't smoke chickens, but my turkey legs are done after a few hours of smoke at 275. I grill whole chickens for about an hour at high temp...350 + and they are great.

Mike

I do yardbird quite a bit,normally ~7#'rs . I will run ~ 275* for 3.5-4hrs with IT 165-185* with apple,cherry or pecan.Sometimes a combination thereof. I also do halves often and times don't vary much.If you have time to plan ahead -Brine !

Bill

That you for the replies.
7+ for the chicken? Yeah, that might wait for another day. Have issues getting my smoker past 200-225. It's not the greatest smoker out there. So thinking more like 10 hours for me.

Will brine the turkey wings and drums for a couple hours.
I did a dry brine on an eye-round roast a couple weeks back and people complained it was a little too salty. So, I want to learn to work with both dry and wet brine but less salty flavor. I ain't complainin' one bit about practice time! Love learning and trying out different things!! Can't wait to try a meatloaf with some mac-n-cheese in the smoker, and chicken wings!

My fiancée looked at me funny when I bought 3 bags of charcoal last Saturday, and was eyeing a Charbroil propane vert smoker. She started laughing, but oddly enough never asked why I was already looking at another smoker, she just made a comment that I need to make up my mind on what I was Santa to bring me. LOL.

Normally about seven pounders (chickens) at about two hundred and seventy five degrees for three and one half hours to four hours.Until reaching an internal temperature of one hundred and sixty five to one hundred and eighty five degrees.
Don't be shy with brining poultry,a whole or half bird should brine for at least ten hours.I've never brined smaller parts though.Read up on the science of brining, the why and how it works.

Keep up the practice and Santa might bring another smoker! ;)

Last edited:
Are you using the original charcoal pan set up? A lot of them greatly restrict airflow and prevent ash from falling so it builds up. I use a wok topper (like the one bellow) and it makes a world of different, you just have to be ready to adjust the vents. Over the winter I am going to try to build one out of expanded metal based on the 20/20 charcoal basket.

Last edited:
Are you using the original charcoal pan set up? A lot of them greatly restrict airflow and prevent ash from falling so it builds up. I use a wok topper (like the one bellow) and it makes a world of different, you just have to be ready to adjust the vents. Over the winter I am going to try to build one out of expanded metal based on the 20/20 charcoal basket.

Sorry, I didn't stipulate what I was cooking them on. I use a 22 Weber kettle or my new 14 WSM lately.Though times and temps will be same.Good idea on the wok!Expanded will work much better though.

ncwolf, I was using the base pan set up, but have since drilled some holes in the ash pan for better drop of the ash and air flow. I haven't used it since as the hunting season is going here in NYS. But, I did get an early X-Mas gift of a propane smoker, so hoping to give that a shot in a couple weeks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky