Smokin-It 1 Not Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

louballs

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Harrisburg, PA
Hello,

I've got an older Smokin It model 1. I cant get wood chunks to smoke unless I turn the dial all the way up. Is this normal behavior or could there be something wrong internally?

Reactions: DieselTech
Here's some of my thoughts:
Did you somehow bend the element down so the distance to the wood box isn't where it needs to be?
The other possibility is the connections to the element may be corroded and not allowing full current to pass.
Are you using a new extension cord that is not able to carry full current?

Reactions: louballs
Here's some of my thoughts:
Did you somehow bend the element down so the distance to the wood box isn't where it needs to be?
The other possibility is the connections to the element may be corroded and not allowing full current to pass.
Are you using a new extension cord that is not able to carry full current?
I was using an extension cord. I'll check into that and the element.

First thing I would do is put a probe in it to double check if you are actually getting the correct temp. At the lower temps are you getting some initial smoke but then none on reheats? I have a Smokin Tex which is pretty close to the same smoker set up. I did a lot of testing at various temp ranges. At anything less than 200F I found I get smoke on the initial heat up but none on subsequent cycles. As in being analog it hits temp then the element goes off until it drops 10 to 15F before reheating. That is by design however never get smoke on reheat. At temps 200 and up I get perfect smoke for many hours on two small chunks of wood. An easy way to check element per Smokin Tex is turn it on in a dark room i.e. garage let it heat up and then look at the element to see if it's all orange or if parts aren't heating.

Reactions: louballs
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky