Smoker went out during overnight brisket cook - HELP (in-laws in town 🤣 )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sir Smokes A Lot

Original poster
Apr 28, 2024
I had a brisket on my smoker for an overnight cook and my smoker cut off in the middle of the night due to a power flicker during a storm that popped up 😡 . Checked the pellet hopper when I got to the smoker and it was still 90% full. Fire pot had been cleaned right before the cook. Grease trap clear.

Read through a number of threads but wanted to get some specific help as my in-laws are in town. My father-in-law purchased the brisket so I'm hoping it can be saved AND not make them sick lol

Details:
  • Brisket is prime
  • 15lbs pre trim
  • Had it sitting in Holy Cow Meat Church rub in the fridge for 24 hours
  • went STRAIGHT from the fridge to the smoker at 7p with the smoker at 200 degrees
  • Smoker went out at 403am so it was on for 9 hours at 200 degrees.
  • I got to it in the morning at 7a with an internal temp of 114. So the smoker was off for 3 hours. Had a good bark on it already.
  • Had the smoker fired back up and rolling at 200 by 715a
  • Outside temp in Texas during the outage was in the 70s in my garage

Can I still continue to cook and serve/eat this? Any help is VERY VERY APPRECIATED!!!

Reactions: JLeonard
I agree you’re good. I use my trusty ole Maverick and use one probe for temp monitor with upper and lower limits set for just that reason. I do almost all my big meat smoking overnight.
"So many " people have been trying to do this without alarms, not a good choice at all.

Reactions: tbrtt1
"So many " people have been trying to do this without alarms, not a good choice at all.
Being both lazy on the weekends and riddled with ADD or ADHD or whatever the hell they call it now, I use a chamber monitor for most cooks, day or night, asleep or awake.

My chamber alarm once alerted me during an LSU football game. Good thing because when I watch dem Tigahs, the apocalypse could be occurring and I wouldn’t notice. I certainly would not be paying attention to my smoker during that time.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Yes you are good to go. Please don’t smoke and sleep without a way to alert you to an outage or a fire! Post up some pics of your brisket when done and stop by roll call to introduce yourself
Thank you for the quick response! Yup, going to scope a few out bc I dont want to waste meat (or burn down my house)

Reactions: TNJAKE
Yes you are good to go. Please don’t smoke and sleep without a way to alert you to an outage or a fire! Post up some pics of your brisket when done and stop by roll call to introduce yourself
Will definitely follow up with pics when done!

Thank you everyone for the time and quick responses! Smoking Meat Forums to the rescue!

I will post a photo for all to see what your contributions have saved!

Thank you everyone for the time and quick responses! Smoking Meat Forums to the rescue!

I will post a photo for all to see what your contributions have saved!
You have gotten solid advice, but just remember that if you had injected that meat this would be a different conversation, that would increase the risk by a lot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky