Smoker shut down

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

charmon

Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
I am cooking a 12lb brisket on an electric Traeger grill. It was smoking for 6 hours at 225 degrees before I walked away. Sometime between 1:30 and 5 it shut down. When I went back out the meat was 95 degrees. Should I toss the meat or is it salvageable?

Knowing what I do, as I use a traeger, I dont think it was out very long hour or so. With that said at 225 you were probity in the 100-125 range at 6 hours. Thats internal temp, your surface temp was much higher, over the 140.

Last edited:
Don't leave your smoker unattended. If you decide to sleep though a cook then at least purchase a probe setup that will connect through your phone and alert you if temp drops or spikes. Without it you are gambling Everytime on either the fire going out or even worse your pit catching fire and burning to the ground. Inkbird is giving away promo codes for 50% off. Good deal on a great probe setup

What Jake said.A good wireless probe with an alarm will save you a lot of frustration.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky