Smoked cheese color

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tsulcoski

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
Nanticoke PA
I've smoked 5 or six blocks of cheese on speerate occasions and the smoke flavor is good, but I can't seem to get the deep smoke color. Any ideas out there?

I never get much color either. I think it has to do with the cheese itself.
Maybe age, dryness or just type of cheese.
I was going to air dry some the next time I did it and see if that aided in color.

I use blocks of cheddar and lots of apple wood smoke and I get a nice yellowish brown color, and taste great too. I leave it in for 1-2 Hrs at a temp below 100deg. as low as I can get.

I pull mine by color but it never gets real dark because that (for me) is too much smoke
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif

I always cold smoke my cheese between 1-2, generaly 1, hours and never do get the smoked look you get from the grocery store smoked cheese. Most of the smoked cheese at the grocery store is not smoked at all but sprayed with a liquid smoke concoction.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky