Shrimp tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
Been meaning to post this and finally managed time to take pics. Not really a step by step but it should suffice.

I use whatever shrimp I get a deal on but always go on the larger size. Sometimes raw, sometimes frozen. In the case, frozen. Thaw and lose the tail.

Make the rub. You can use premade "taco/mexican" seasoning but I like to make mine. The seasoning is a tex mex rub (sans cumin). 2tsp chili powder, 1/2tsp each of salt, pepper, onion powder, gran. garlic and a shake of accent.

20200209_143833_resized.jpg

Throw shrimp in bag, add seasoning, mix well, and park in fridge a few hours.

20200209_155741_resized.jpg

Skewer and pellicle. Pellicle is essential for good sear marks. Results were weak today as cold and windy but doable.

20200209_181259_resized.jpg

I grill the shrimp and onion (the real key) with some oak pellets scattered. Once done, park in 170F oven on a foiled lined cookie sheet. Once all is grilled, remove skewers and and chop a bit but you could keep whole if you wanted. The actual taco itself can be made countless ways but the essentials are: flour tortilla (nuke with moist paper towls to soften), greens/arulua, a few cilantro leaves, shrimp and onion. Strangely tomato just doesn't work here but is typical for us. Of course, feel free to improvise.

Money shot:

20200209_203424_resized(1).jpg

Just kidding...

20200209_204029.jpg

For mine, I went with some avocado, feta cheese, and a few hits of Valentina hot sauce. I don't typically do it but gave it a wipe a sour cream for some reason. I wanted to post this because I've some threads on shrimp tacos but have never seen the onion grilled. Total game changer. Try it. If I missed out on anything let me know.

Good looking tacos! I could eat shrimp every day! Of all the tacos ive ever made ive never done shrimp. Guess its time to change that lol!

Reactions: zwiller
Nice looking tacos! I’ll go for 6 please. Great thing with shrimp tacos is they come together so quickly.

I love Shimp Tacos and your'spouse look Great! Speaking of the Grilled Onions, I do a Fajita Marinated Shrimp with Grilled Onions and Peppers...JJ

Uh Oh I see a problem ............... I didn't get one or three Nice Job
Love Shrimp and Fish Taco's

Gary

I like! You can do shrimp (or fish, for that matter) tacos about a thousand different ways, and I like pretty much all of 'em. Yours sure look terrific, Z!

Red

Good looking tacos! I could eat shrimp every day! Of all the tacos ive ever made ive never done shrimp. Guess its time to change that lol!
Thanks. You might be surprised just how good these are. These are probably our favorite and we make A LOT of different tacos. Sometimes just eat the grilled (and rubbed) shrimp without doing tacos. We do that with a half a steak and taters or a salad.

Reactions: Sowsage
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky