Sausage Making

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was going to grind thru the course plate first, then season and grind again thru the medium or fine plate, not sure on this help! The casings are actually looking pretty good. Been rinsing changing the water, then they were soft enough to rinse the insides out. They are all about 3' lengths. Already looking nice and white.
So I was really disappointed when I got that hand crank plastic grinder from Amazon $26.54 shipped, it was really small. Went to the UPS store and shipped it back, already got my refund. I know I'm going to get some gruff for this but after reading all the reviews and watching some youtube videos I went to Harbor Freight and bought this 250W, true 1/3HP electric grinder, after the 20% off coupon it was $46.33 with tax out the door. So for $20 more I think I may have an easier grind. I'm not going to be doing this but maybe once a month in small batches, so hopefully I'll be fine. Really getting psyched now to make some Brats!

View attachment 409321

Here's what I had:

Here's what I have now:

For $20 more it's a no brainer for me, but I could be wrong as usual.

That grinder should work fine for small batches. Just go slow with it. And I'm betting it has plastic gears. So watch out for bone or sinew. Make sure the meat and fat are good and cold/firm. Almost frozen. I'm glad your pleased with the stuffer. It got me started with this hobby just fine. And I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

That grinder should work fine for small batches. Just go slow with it. And I'm betting it has plastic gears. So watch out for bone or sinew. Make sure the meat and fat are good and cold/firm. Almost frozen. I'm glad your pleased with the stuffer. It got me started with this hobby just fine. And I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.
Steve it is good too see people like you still exist
Richie

One thing I noticed not mentioned is u should always try to use the same side of plate against knife. Not sure how others feel about this but I do this. It makes the wear together. Maybe mark with center punch near center hole. Don’t want it out were cutting edge is.

Reactions: smokininidaho
For boning knives I just picked up 2 new ones
I haven't used the Mercer yet but did a few butts with this
Have fun don't forget some pics.
Richie

It's a bigger initial hit to by a Hank of tubed Casing but you only pull what you need. The little packs of $10 casings on amazon and cabela's are seconds and pieces. One section may be 12" long and the next 3' but full of holes. I used them ONCE. Less than half the pack was usable and the blow outs in the rest were very frustrating. Bought from Syracuse and every section was perfect...JJ

This is a revelation to me Jimmy! While I haven't had quite the bad luck you've experienced with the short packs, they are a pain to get onto the stuffer tube. Is this what you order?

https://www.sausagemaker.com/32-35mm-pretubed-hog-casings-p/17-1018.htm

I don't often get blowouts anymore, but they do happen occasionally. It looks like they show three pre-tubed casing per pack. How do the leftover casings store, just salt? I can only do about six feet before I have to stop and link, my sausage board is 3' long. I've got 3-4 packs of shorts from PS Seasoning to use, then I'd like to order some pre-tubed. RAY
DSCN1009.JPG

This is a revelation to me Jimmy! While I haven't had quite the bad luck you've experienced with the short packs, they are a pain to get onto the stuffer tube. Is this what you order?

https://www.sausagemaker.com/32-35mm-pretubed-hog-casings-p/17-1018.htm

I don't often get blowouts anymore, but they do happen occasionally. It looks like they show three pre-tubed casing per pack. How do the leftover casings store, just salt? I can only do about six feet before I have to stop and link, my sausage board is 3' long. I've got 3-4 packs of shorts from PS Seasoning to use, then I'd like to order some pre-tubed. RAY
View attachment 409384

They are the ones I use. Any left over that's on the tube I just get as much water off them as I can. Pack in salt and put in a sealed container.

That is the style I use. Those three are $19.00. Syracuse Casing is 23 tubes for $34.50, a full Hank, enough for about 100 pounds of Sausage. Much better value. They come Salted and pre-rised. Soak for 10 minutes and you are good to go. If you have any left on the tube, drain, pat dry and Salt well. Place back in the pack and refer until needed. Do not freeze. Syracuse says they a good for 6 months but stored in the back of the refer, should go longer. The Nose, Knows...JJ

http://www.makincasing.com/product.asp?ID=5&product=North+American+Hog+Casing+32/35mm

Well I'm done grinding and seasoning, just need to stuff now. The grinder worked flawlessly, it's got a pretty decent fan that kept it cool thru out the grind. When mixing in the spices after the first grind, pretty darn cold, had to rinse my gloves in hot water a couple times. Fried up a pattie and damn that was good. Split it with my son who doesn't like sausage and he loved it. Fried up another! Not greasy but bursting with flavor. Going to stuff tomorrow, that way the casings will have 48 hours to soak. Sorry it so long to reply but I work nights and don't usually get motivated to do anything 'till about 2pm especially on my days off. I'll say one thing, if you like doing dishes sausage making is for you! Pretty much happy how things have gone so far. Stuff and grill tomorrow, yes!

sausage.jpg

Nice .When you get ready to stuff , fill the canister and run the meat paste out to the end of the tube . Helps to push air out , and slide the casings on .
Watching .

Nice .When you get ready to stuff , fill the canister and run the meat paste out to the end of the tube . Helps to push air out , and slide the casings on .
Watching .

I also like to have a bit of meat outside so the grease lubes the casing.
Also scoop some water ( golfball size amount)into the casing before mounting it.
That water/grease combo lets the casing slide on with ease.

Nice work . They get better as they sit . Even out of the freezer , I think the flavor is better .
The mess can be a chore at first . I do mine in stages , and over multiple days now . Clean up between each stage before I move on .
You're hooked now .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky