Rural King sale!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GoMocs1

Original poster
Jun 9, 2024
Two bags for $10.

Are they good? I am new at this. I have used Kingsford and Lumberjack so far.

Thanks.

The ratings are terrible for these pellets.
Maybe someone with experience using them can help.

Keith

Never seen or been in a rural king, are they like Tractor supply?
Yep but with a lot more items for BBQ, guns and a mish mosh of neat food items. For BBQ they carry cookers, fuels like pellets and chunks and tons of rubs and sauces. It's impossible to enter a Rural King and leave without spending money 😂

Reactions: mike243 and TNJAKE
Yep but with a lot more items for BBQ, guns and a mish mosh of neat food items. For BBQ they carry cookers, fuels like pellets and chunks and tons of rubs and sauces. It's impossible to enter a Rural King and leave without spending money 😂
GUNS...that explains why they are not in NY. Nearest one is 250 miles away in PA

Reactions: JLeonard
Two bags for $10.

Are they good? I am new at this. I have used Kingsford and Lumberjack so far.

Thanks.

Hi there and welcome!

I can't chime in if they are any good but as 912smoker 912smoker mentioned, the review ratings are generally not good on a number of those pellets.

As for Lumberjack and Kingsford, I can say they would likely be superior in the fact that those 2 brands will use 100% of the wood on the label UNLESS they explicitly say otherwise by calling it a "blend".

In the pellet world most pellet brands do the opposite and never use 100% of the wood on the label. They will do marketing magic and say "100% hardwood" which may be true while still not being 100% of the wood on the label. The other brands will give you 20-35% of the wood on the label and then the rest will be Oak, Alder, or some other common, cheaper, and consistently burning wood. It's a bit of a disappointing racket.

These confusing labeling practices are one of the reasons why Lumberjack gets so much love. They make it easy clearly label their bags so you know you are getting 100% of the wood or a blend, oh and their pellets always perform amazingly!

I hope this bit of pellet info helps, it's confusing and disappointing when first learning about it but then it gets easy once someone clarifies it :D

Reactions: slavikborisov
I've been using Lumberjack Hickory for a couple of years. No problems what so ever.

I think Rural King brought Lumberjack pellets back into their stores because nobody wanted their house brand (which ain't made by Lumberjack).

I quit buying there and settled for pitboss or paid premium for Kingsford until RK brought Lumberjack back into their stores.

Kingsford pellets actually impart a good flavor that rivals Lumberjack, they just cost too much.

RK stated their pellets were LJ with their label on them. I couldn't tell any difference

RK stated their pellets were LJ with their label on them. I couldn't tell any difference
LJ said they never made pellets for RK. Somewhere or other I have a bookmark where LJ was asked directly, by email, if they were making RK pellets and the answer was no. If the RK pellets were made by LJ, why did RK bring back LJ pellets after not selling them for a year?

I don’t use a ton of pellets just in the amazen tray but I grabbed a 20 lb bag today for $5.
1717989304367.jpeg

LJ said they never made pellets for RK. Somewhere or other I have a bookmark where LJ was asked directly, by email, if they were making RK pellets and the answer was no. If the RK pellets were made by LJ, why did RK bring back LJ pellets after not selling them for a year?
I posted their statement on here back when they changed over,

I should stock up, not been cooking much but shoulder is getting somewhat better and might do some cooks, charcoal keeps climbing and pushing me to use the pellet smoker more, no good sales like a few years ago. In this warm weather the PS sips the pellets so pretty cheap to run it unless your burning high dollar pellets.

any feedback on your RK pellets?
Oh I never asked, are you running a pellet smoker?
In that case I feel like running the least expensive pellet that burns without issue is what I would use for my fuel/heat source and then I would run the best 100% pellets (or make my own blend from various 100% pellets) and burn those in a pellet smoker tube for the best flavor.

Cheap heat, premium flavor... win-win :D

Oh I never asked, are you running a pellet smoker?
In that case I feel like running the least expensive pellet that burns without issue is what I would use for my fuel/heat source and then I would run the best 100% pellets (or make my own blend from various 100% pellets) and burn those in a pellet smoker tube for the best flavor.

Cheap heat, premium flavor... win-win :D
If your pellet smoker can run at temps to maximize smoke, like mine, then running a custom blend of premium pellets in the hopper as well as the tube will give you the best flavor.

Granted, once you dial up temps above maximum smoke output, the grill is more for heat than smoke, but still provides some flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky