Random question...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
What is about cherry wood that imparts that red color to like ribs and etc? 30 min drive to work and random thoughts just pop into my old brain.

Jim

Reactions: JLinza
I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with the color of the wood itself. As it dries out it goes from a pinkish hue to a darker red, and the smoke given off is a reflection of the darker color.

Chris

If you could only taste a smoke ring lol. It will put some color out for sure,

Reactions: JLeonard
What is about cherry wood that imparts that red color
Not sure either .
Did a chicken with some peach . I was surprised by the color .
Looks peachy to me .
20210530_172057.jpg

What is about cherry wood that imparts that red color to like ribs and etc? 30 min drive to work and random thoughts just pop into my old brain.

Jim
Fruit woods tend to have more nitrates in them from being fertilized in the orchard. Most all woods contain nitrates but fruit woods have the most and Cherry has I think the most of all of them, plum is right up there too. Anyway when those nitrates burn up they transform into nitric oxide which is the main driver in the smoke ring formation.

I use Pecan as my main smoke wood but always mix cherry in for that beautiful red color, like I said though plum will do just as well.

Fruit woods tend to have more nitrates in them from being fertilized in the orchard. Most all woods contain nitrates but fruit woods have the most and Cherry has I think the most of all of them, plum is right up there too. Anyway when those nitrates burn up they transform into nitric oxide which is the main driver in the smoke ring formation.

I use Pecan as my main smoke wood but always mix cherry in for that beautiful red color, like I said though plum will do just as well.
I knew someone would come in with the science of it! It was one of those things that I know happens, just not the WHY part of it!
Thank you!

Jim

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I knew someone would come in with the science of it! It was one of those things that I know happens, just not the WHY part of it!
Thank you!

Jim
Carbon monoxide will make a smoke ring as well so most all hardwood will give you that, but fruit wood is special. Especially cherry wood. Which will give you that pretty red color from higher nitrates.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky