PPM cure#1 for whole muscle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JOSH C

Original poster
May 2, 2024
Hi everyone, I have been doing lots of research on my own but cant seem to find what t PPM of cure #1 is recommended for whole muscle curing. I want to do american bacon,canadian bacon and buckboard bacon. I want to do dry brine. I have checked all of the calculators and most ask for the PPM of cure. I think 150 PPM is what I need. I will dry brine and cure in the fridge for the recommended time then hot smoke till temp reaches 140-150

Reactions: JLeonard
Actually...
Dry cured bacon, rind off is different:
Dry Cured Bacon (rind-off): A maximum of 200 ppm of nitrite or equivalent of
potassium nitrite (246 ppm) can be used in dry cured bacon. Note: the calculation method for
nitrite in dry cured bacon is the same as that for nitrite in other dry cured products. Refer to
pages 24-27.

For pumped or immersed bacon, the limit is 120ppm. Since this is in place for cured meat that will be fried up in a pan, and the lower ppm is a guard against possible nitrosamines created with pan heat, I use the 120ppm for all bacon like products, which I pump/immerse regular bacon. Certainly american bacon and buckboard bacon should be 120ppm When done this way (Canadian "bacon" is eaten like ham for me, not fried, so I use the ham levels).
I also use 120ppm for Taylor pork roll amd SPAM, both of which I fry. They are comminuted or ground, but since I fry them pretty hard and 120ppm works wonderfully with SE, I use that.

Every single number for all meat additives can be read about, and learn the correct way and formula to calculate amounts, in the USFDA FSIS INSPECTORS CALCULATION HANDBOOK.

They also havea spot to ask an inspector a question, and have been quick to respond to me in past.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky