PPE - Use it!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

timstalltaletav

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Llewellyn PA aka God's Country
As the book of Tim's best moments in life continues to be written... Tonight's chapter is a stretch even for me.

I bought a Harman Super Magnum coal stove off my buddy. He told me that the easiest way to light it is to light some lump charcoal with the MAPP gas torch then when it's burning good sprinkle on the coal. Easy enough... And I just so happen to have a MAPP torch and about 400# of lump charcoal!

So off we go. I get the coal (real coal, not charcoal) bed built on the grates and put a few chunks of lump on top.

Fire up the torch and give it hell for a few seconds. As lump is known to do, it starts sparking pretty good in the fire box, so I close the door as much as possible so as to not burn the house down. Note: The stove is on tile and there's nothing combustible around it, but I still worry.

Well, somehow with the door mostly closed except where I had my arm through holding the torch, a spark flew out and flew right in my eye. I don't recall how hot charcoal burns, but I can assure you anything over room temperature feels like the surface of the sun when it's stuck in your eye.

After cursing (profusely), jumping around, and doing everything possible not to rub my eye, I made it to the shower and tried to flush my eye. That didn't work, it was still in there.

Thankfully my better half is a nurse. She didn't hear my expletive filled tirade because she was running the vacuum. Once I got her attention, she came in and was able to remove the piece of coal from my eye and flush it.

It's just swollen now but I can see fine. Hopefully no other issues.

Lesson learned though, wear PPE anytime there's even a million-to-one chance you'll actually need it!

I just started my stove this way last week. Basement smelled great for a bit. I didnt use PPE . I guess I should.

Reactions: timstalltaletav
I had a coal stove in our downstairs bar for 20 years. Worst I ever did was burn my hand a few times.

This is an extreme even for me!

I do like this stove though. Going from a Warm Morning hand fired stove that my great-grandfather bought in 1929 to this thing is a beyond an upgrade. Just having a thermostat is going to amazing. The old stove had two settings, blazing hot and out....

Well.... It's lit!...

...and I will be too soon!

Attachments

• IMG_20191101_214110508.jpg
    IMG_20191101_214110508.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 18
It's just swollen now but I can see fine. Hopefully no other issues.

Lesson learned though, wear PPE anytime there's even a million-to-one chance you'll actually need it!
Im glad you are ok.

I would still suggest a trip to urgent care or to see your doctor (or an eye doctor). I would think there is a preferred eye rinse as well as antibiotic eye drops just for prophylactic purposes. An eye infection could change your life.

Reactions: jcam222
Mine is a self feeder rice coal stove. 2 90k btu burners. Electric thermostat

I'm liking it this far. The rice coal is interesting. My old stove burned stove coal. Pretty much if you could fit through the door, you could burn it.

A royal pain in the ass to get lit, but once you got it going, it would burn for days.

I'm liking it this far. The rice coal is interesting. My old stove burned stove coal. Pretty much if you could fit through the door, you could burn it.

A royal pain in the ass to get lit, but once you got it going, it would burn for days.

I burn a 5 gallon bucket a day when is cold. Empty ash once a day. Kinda like a set it and forget it smoker.

Reactions: timstalltaletav
Im glad you are ok.

I would still suggest a trip to urgent care or to see your doctor (or an eye doctor). I would think there is a preferred eye rinse as well as antibiotic eye drops just for prophylactic purposes. An eye infection could change your life.

I may actually run to urgent care in the morning. In my old age I'm learning to appreciate health insurance.

And... My eyes are one of the few things that don't hurt or cause me ailments.

Reactions: S-met
I would be hesitant about coal in a wood stove,it burns way hotter and may warp every part of your stove, heavy heavy cast is required for durability imo

Reactions: Jabiru
We're straight here! Swelling down, no cuts or other issues per the eye doc... $107 out of pocket against my deductible!

I still love this stove! It's 76°+ all week ( night and day). I actually have the windows open!

Cold tonight, it finally kicked on the high idle for a few minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_20191108_222218558.jpg
    IMG_20191108_222218558.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky