Porkopalooza! 150#....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Caught an awesome sale on pork butts...$0.79/lb. I bought a little over 100# and my cousin and one of the guys on shift with him @ the firehouse each bought a double pack @ ~20# each..

I'm making:
~35# Maple BBB
~35# Applewood smoked BBB
~30# Tasso
~40# smoked boudin
and ~10# hog head cheese

I'll post pics. later after I finish breaking down the butts and get the cure on them....

Last edited:
Reactions: bluebird
Man how big is your freezer. It seems you've been smoking up a whole lot of goodies lately. Looking forward to seeing this one.

Chris

Man how big is your freezer. It seems you've been smoking up a whole lot of goodies lately. Looking forward to seeing this one.

Chris
.....I have 4 freezers.....
I've got probably 60~70# of stuff frozen to bring to a buddy of mine in Kansas in about a month when I head up there turkey hunting. He sends me home with goose meat, I process it for him....I'll be taking him some bacon, tasso, andouille, boudin, and sausages.....

Last edited:
We used to have a freezer in garage, that is until the wife hit it with the car.

Chris

Reactions: flatbroke
.....I have 4 freezers.....
I've got probably 60~70# of stuff frozen to bring to a buddy of mine in Kansas in about a month when I hed up there turkey hunting. He sends me home with goose meat, I process it for him....I'll be taking him some bacon, tasso, andouille, boudin, and sausages.....

Ah could there be just a little side trip thru Md. to Kansas. :emoji_laughing:

Warren

Just called my Butcher Shop to order the liver and skin for next week. Butcher asks me what I am making, I tell him boudin and hog head cheese. He tells me I can buy a fresh pig head for $7 and he will cut it for me however I need it free..... Hmmmmm....might have to get one next time...

Just realized I forgot to post up the pics....

7 double packs of boston butts, 16~20# each...131# in total.
IMG_20190328_110117.jpg

That's a 120 qt. ice chest with an 8" layer of ice on the bottom.

Here is the applewood bacon with the sugar cure in the tote after I finished putting the rub on. I'll restack the meat periodically. The Maple is in a similar tote as well.
IMG_20190328_161503.jpg

This is 30# of pork butt slabs cut into 1/2~3/4" thick steaks for tasso.
IMG_20190329_124433.jpg

I used the bottom half of the butt after the top fat cap was removed for the BBB. These are inda frig curing. These will hit the smokehouse sunday, will roll brown sugar, oak and pecan to 'em...and might cold smoke them first prior to hot smoking to 145* INT...

I did end up having to make about 3 dozen more tasso hooks...

30# of tasso in the smokehouse now with pecan and oak TBS rolling. Pic. after drying and before the wood began smoking...
IMG_20190331_094158.jpg

Going to be a lot of beans and greens cooked in that house.

Warren
Tasso is for more than beans and greens my friend...it is used in sauces, pastas, jambalayas, gumbos....boullettes, and the list just keeps expanding as chefs get more creative. This is why I keep running out of Tasso!!! I'm making a 30# batch every 6 months! LOL! (plus I give some away to friends and family..)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky