popping the gfi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mjv

Original poster
Jun 29, 2023
I have a MB 20077515 that keeps popping my gfi. My smoker is about 6 years old and it just started doing this. Tried multiple gfi outlets and extension cords but pops every time. But I just tried it in a non gfi outlet and it works fine. What gives?

My 30 was doing that and it was a bad element . If you have an ohm meter check the resistance of the element . Mes 30 should be about 18 ohms . Not sure if you have a 30 or 40 . Other thing would be moisture . But given the age I bet the element is going bad . Trips after a few minutes of running ?

GFI's can become weak over time and trip more easily. How old is it? If you actually replaced the GFI and it still pops then definitely its the MB and totally agree with Rich that an element is going south on ya.

Reactions: chopsaw
GFCI outlets are finicky and can go bad as mentioned above.
They don't always play nice with anything that has a motor,
or as others have said the heating elements.

I have a MB 20077515 that keeps popping my gfi. My smoker is about 6 years old and it just started doing this. Tried multiple gfi outlets and extension cords but pops every time. But I just tried it in a non gfi outlet and it works fine. What gives?
Also you might try without the extension cord. If it still trips, everyone else is right. ;-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky