pellet smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Who makes a better one Camo Chef or Trager?

Thanks
Depends on what you want to do with it. The Camp chef is neat with the side propane searing grill. From everything I have read the Trager is no longer the gold standard. I have read their quality has gone downhill in the last couple years since their patent ran out and they sold the company. I have never owned either so I can not back that up with facts just relaying what I read when I made my choice. I went with the RecTec RT-680 They have a smaller version also. I will say I love it. Very well built. I just did a 20 hour pork butt smoke (50 pounds of butt q view is over on the Pork forum) The whole thing ran at a nice steady 220 all through the day and all last night. Pork was tender and moist and fell apart the way it should. The cool part was all the butts were pretty much even on temp no matter where they were sitting. 40 Pound hopper so all I had to do was pull and foil them at 160 degrees and let it go.

I am known in my family for over researching every big purchase I make. I chose the rectec so there is an option to look at (The rec tec will also do steaks and stuff although I haven't tried that yet. I wanted the gasser gone all wood fire from here on out)

I got a new traeger 34 series but before it shipped i ordered a pellet pro PID, whe it came i assembled it and ripped out the old controller and replaced it.  Love the temp regulation and ease of use.  I wouldnt trade this for anything.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky