Pellet Grill Professionals. Couple Questions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DieselTech

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 28, 2024
Kansas
Guys & gals I recently purchased a Pit Boss 1100 Sportsman grill.
I also purchased the side smoker cabinet.
I got some AmazeN smoker tubes & they work great when I'm cold smoking, stay lit & burn for their designated time.

But if I run my grill at temp & then add a smoker tube, it wants to go out, like insufficient oxygen while the grill is running.

So is there a possibility that with the grill running there is insufficient oxygen for the smoker tubes to stay burning/smoking?

What is all you professionals thoughts on this?

Thanks.
1000000193.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
My tubes run perfect in the cook chamber of my pit boss that I recently gave away. Where are you placing it? Also I’ve always propped mine up at an angle
I have been setting it on the left side of the grill closest to the pellet hopper. Laying it flat.

What I don't get is why :When i cold smoke with the smoker tubes & they perform exactly as claimed & burn perfectly.

If I start the grill up & place the smoke tubes in the same spot as where they were placed while cold smoking, they go out. You would think when the grill was running with the fan, the smoker tubes would continue to burn, but they don't.

Idk what to think yet.

I have been setting it on the left side of the grill closest to the pellet hopper. Laying it flat.

What I don't get is why :When i cold smoke with the smoker tubes & they perform exactly as claimed & burn perfectly.

If I start the grill up & place the smoke tubes in the same spot as where they were placed while cold smoking, they go out. You would think when the grill was running with the fan, the smoker tubes would continue to burn, but they don't.

Idk what to think yet.
I placed mine in the same area. Try to prop the lit end up a couple inches with something. Also you need to make sure they are lit better than when you are cold smoking. If not properly lit then fan will blow it out.

Reactions: DieselTech
I placed mine in the same area. Try to prop the lit end up a couple inches with something. Also you need to make sure they are lit better than when you are cold smoking. If not properly lit then fan will blow it out.
Ok thanks. If I don't get rained out tomorrow I'll try that for testing purposes.

Yeah I was lighting it with a torch & i let them burn 5-10minutes long before setting the smoker tubes into the heated grill.

Ok thanks. If I don't get rained out tomorrow I'll try that for testing purposes.

Yeah I was lighting it with a torch & i let them burn 5-10minutes long before setting the smoker tubes into the heated grill.
I use a couple drops of hand sanitizer on the top of tube then hit it with torch. I let it stand completely upright for 10-15 minutes then blow it out and place in smoker slightly propped up. Rarely fails

I use a couple drops of hand sanitizer on the top of tube then hit it with torch. I let it stand completely upright for 10-15 minutes then blow it out and place in smoker slightly propped up. Rarely fails
Thanks. I'll give that a try. Yeah I used the 12" AmazeN smoker tube last night to cold smoke some cheese. It burnt flawlessly for 5hrs last night at 57°F.

I hope my cheese turns out as amazing as it smells.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Yeah I used the 12" AmazeN smoker tube last night to cold smoke some cheese. It burnt flawlessly for 5hrs last night at 57°F.

I hope my cheese turns out as amazing as it smells.
Nice. Tubes are easy but just gotta figure out what works. Your smoker is almost same as mine was so try that out. I love smoked cheese………..

Nice. Tubes are easy but just gotta figure out what works. Your smoker is almost same as mine was so try that out. I love smoked cheese………..

Thanks. That was big order of cheese. It all looked great. Especially the Flaming Jack cheese.

Yeah I only smoked 3 pounds, a lb of each colby, colby jack, & sharp cheddar. My cheese did not take on near the color of yours. But it smells real smokey even after sitting 2 days wrapped in parchment paper.

Thanks for your cheese link. Gives me something to look forward to this fall.

Who makes the best PID controller for a pellet grill?

Should a guy buy the Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro elite hopper assembly?

Or should a guy buy the Savannah Stoker PID controller?

Are there any better options?

Thanks.
1000000258.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Who makes the best PID controller for a pellet grill?

Should a guy buy the Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro elite hopper assembly?

Or should a guy buy the Savannah Stoker PID controller?

Are there any better options?

Thanks.View attachment 696854
I really wouldn’t go down that road yet with your new unit. These aftermarket controllers exist because the older controllers in Tragers/PitBoss etc… were crap. The new controllers are far better.

Pit boss sells pid controllers for every smoker they make. If you don’t like that route then Savanah stokers are the way to go. Easy to install plug and play

I really wouldn’t go down that road yet with your new unit. These aftermarket controllers exist because the older controllers in Tragers/PitBoss etc… were crap. The new controllers are far better.
Yeah what sucks or at least in my eyes. Is My pit boss only adjusts in 25°f increments & totally skips the option for a 275° temp. It goes from 250°f to 300°f temp with no 275°f temp option.

I would like to at least find a good controller I could set temperature in 5-10°f increments.

Maybe I'm too much of a gear head & can't leave anything alone.

Thanks.

Pit boss sells pid controllers for every smoker they make. If you don’t like that route then Savanah stokers are the way to go. Easy to install plug and play
Well I was reading Savannah Stoker was 1 of the nicest pid pellet grill controllers out on the market. They got version 5 out now.

Well I was reading Savannah Stoker was 1 of the nicest pid pellet grill controllers out on the market. They got version 5 out now.
They are. SS allows you to just change the controller out easily. The other rig you posted is a waste of money on your part. That’s for people building pellet grills or adding to a smokehouse

They are. SS allows you to just change the controller out easily. The other rig you posted is a waste of money on your part. That’s for people building pellet grills or adding to a smokehouse
So if I buy a Savannah Stoker controller? Will I have to cut my factory Pit Boss wiring harness? I'm just curious. My mind has kinda been set on a Savannah Stoker controller from all the reading I been doing.

Are there any other mods recommended?

Thanks. Lmao I never can leave anything stock!

Yeah what sucks or at least in my eyes. Is My pit boss only adjusts in 25°f increments & totally skips the option for a 275° temp. It goes from 250°f to 300°f temp with no 275°f temp option.

I would like to at least find a good controller I could set temperature in 5-10°f increments.

Maybe I'm too much of a gear head & can't leave anything alone.

Thanks.
Oh, missing 275 is weird, didnt know that. I mean my old crappy analog controller did too but I’m rather surprised your new unit does.

I tried for around a dozen cooks to utilize a 12" tube and I too found it to be a PITA keeping the tube lit. I finally stopped using it altogether just because I'm lazy but many folks really like them and have found ways to keep them lit. I've got 2 of the 12" tubes and one is still new in the box.

Oh, missing 275 is weird, didnt know that. I mean my old crappy analog controller did too but I’m rather surprised your new unit does.
Yeah if I would have known it skips 275°f I would have not bought it, or it would have at least weighed in on my final decision. The other day using my pit boss, 275° could have been beneficial to me. Stupid thing goes from 250°f & skips 275°f & goes directly to 300°f

I tried for around a dozen cooks to utilize a 12" tube and I too found it to be a PITA keeping the tube lit. I finally stopped using it altogether just because I'm lazy but many folks really like them and have found ways to keep them lit. I've got 2 of the 12" tubes and one is still new in the box.
The smoke tubes have worked great for me cold smoking. But as soon as I start putting heat/or using the grill, the smoker tubes would go out on me.

Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky