Our Second piece of Heaven, Little piece on the Atlantic Ocean

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
To go along with what Rich said get something like this, holds 4 gallons and has a double spray head for a big spray pattern.

Great peace of property, I always wanted beach front but down here it is not just the multi-million $ price, but hurricanes and cost/availability of Homeowners ins that go along with it.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
The memories almost bring a tear to my eye .

Spray the thing down with a heavy bleach / water mix next time you go up . Goggles and a respirator . Maybe even a tyvek suit so you don't take that stuff home with you . Let it sit , then get after it .

I bet the bones are good enough .

Ha Ha , I hear you Rich. I have been in some nasty spots before and this one is close to the worse of them. I remember working in an old warehouse near the dockyard at Halifax Harbour. We were fixing and adding on to the top mezzanine area and near the roof, had to almost wade through all the pigeon poop. That was a fun few weeks

There will be a mask / respirator and more then likely a suit for sure.
I am thinking along the same as you. If the structure is good and just remove all the interior walls and ceilings . Some of the drywall is already down or starting. I will do a bunch of test spot look see to the plate and truss / rafters. Looks like it was smaller building and he added on. The larger add on is built better than the first.
I am thinking the first was just a boat shack. That side roof is where all the weather for the last 10 years + has been getting in .

We are driving down tomorrow, as Mona and her sister what to just see the property and grounds and the fishing spots off the dock.
I told them they are not going in the building , I showed them pictures.

The closing is May 21st. Hard for me to not touch the building and look in the walls . But I will wait.

5 - Copy.jpg
Not a bad piece , From front of building to the back of the trees is 200" +/- and 100" wide.
The section in front of the building is the common driveway from the highway . Only 1 person lives past our spot , so not a lot of traffic.
And the piece going out in the water is approx. 160' plus.
Will measure it tomorrow just to see. and that piece makes for a nice sheltered cove from the wind

David

Reactions: JLeonard
To go along with what Rich said get something like this, holds 4 gallons and has a double spray head for a big spray pattern.

Great peace of property, I always wanted beach front but down here it is not just the multi-million $ price, but hurricanes and cost/availability of Homeowners ins that go along with it.

Thanks Cliff for the comment

yes you guys are right about if the building frame work is worth saving , I can strip it down and spray it .
I have a large industrial sprayer Titan something something lol. I have it set to work with 5 gallallon buckets of paint. The sucker sits in the bucket of paint and I have that on a small 4 wheel dolly that I can just drag behind me and spray.
I normally do inside warehouses to spray all the walls and web joists , or in new construction and do the priming and base coats. befor e the pretty coats. It will spray a fine line or a wide 2 foot wide swath. Depending on the tip I put in the gun.

1713651937818.png

We have been looking for many years , and finally found this. ( we found lots of others just could not afford )
I'm just a carpenter not an electrician or plumber, lol. That is what I tell my friends that are those trades . They don't think I'm funny.

We are going to have fun setting it up the way we want . Nice ramp to get the boats in and out of the water and nice walk way of sorts out to the end so we are not walking on big loose boulders.

David

DRKs, Very nice piece of property!!!!!!!!! Congratulations.

Thanks Dave for the like and the comment

Yes we feel very blessed to be able to get this, and we are going to enjoy it as much as possible.
Already have a few drawings i did up for a nice shed / garage for all the boat and fishing gear AND MY SMOKERS :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_laughing:

David

Shared driveway? Hmm make sure the easement is well stated in the documentation for the closing. If it gets omitted it is a pia to get added, at least here in the states.

Probably preaching to the choir, but a bleach down is great for porous surfaces to kill mold. Lumber is not porous and bleach will only kill the surface mold. It takes an acidic solution to penetrate into wood and stop the growth.

Thank you for the comment

This is going to be a big part of our retirement plan. And fun using it even before.

David
It's all about enjoying retirement. You are setting yourself up in a magical spot. Very happy for you. I am sure you worked too for too long not to do it right.

I am in the process of remodeling my house and traveling for music. In May and June I will be in New Orleans, Las Vegas, Seattle, Los Angeles, NY, Amsterdam, Bergen Norway, Dublin and London.

Shared driveway? Hmm make sure the easement is well stated in the documentation for the closing. If it gets omitted it is a pia to get added, at least here in the states.

Probably preaching to the choir, but a bleach down is great for porous surfaces to kill mold. Lumber is not porous and bleach will only kill the surface mold. It takes an acidic solution to penetrate into wood and stop the growth.

John it is actually called Shore Loop Road, it comes down off main highway and just touches the 3 property's. Mine ( soon I hope ) and the property before, it goes through and stops in the last property. The piece that cuts through mine and the first property is actually deeded to us individually. Even though it is a road it is mine and I am taxed on the total of the 4 pieces that made up the one large parcel. And the road is actually goes along the shore that splits mine from the wharf or break water . I just call it a driveway as it is only for the 3 properties.
And this was a thing I made sure of before going further with the purchase. So the 4 pieces all have their own PID # in the full land purchase.

About the mold, I will take any info at all. I did know that bleach even at full strength will only kill surface mold. I did read that vinegar will actually pernitrate and kill. We will see.

But thank you for the concern as I am always skeptical, ( about the land , and problems with neighbours especially )

David

Reactions: Fueling Around
It's all about enjoying retirement. You are setting yourself up in a magical spot. Very happy for you. I am sure you worked too for too long not to do it right.

I am in the process of remodeling my house and traveling for music. In May and June I will be in New Orleans, Las Vegas, Seattle, Los Angeles, NY, Amsterdam, Bergen Norway, Dublin and London.

Yes it is , and hoping you make it there in good enough shape to enjoy it. We have kind of a 4/5 year plan . But trying to slow down on the way to that time frame. But hard to say know to folks that I have worked for, for many years while I am still fit to do the work. But now finally have a reason to but in the hours and also set up this spot for the relaxing ( sort of ) years.

WOW, that is a lot of travel time , and hard to do the remodel if away that much. The music is for business right ? Set up or record for the bands or do you play.

David

Our Second piece of Heaven, Little piece on the Atlantic Ocean

Well it is a wonderful day here in our little house as I wake up knowing that last night we finally signed the agreement to a small piece of land here in Nova Scotia.

It has been a rough 3 1/2 months going back and forth with the ( #%#* ) seller. What a piece of work. Thats another story for another day.

It is about an hour and 15 minutes from our place now. Right on the water in water that I know pretty good as we had an RV at a campground there for about 10 years.

It is about 200 deep into the woods and about 100 wide , but the fun part will be the rock wharf or jetty. But it is approx 10 - 15 feet wide going out and about 150 feet out into the ocean. This will be a lot of work but well worth it . It will be used for summertime and weekends mostly . We can take both our boats there and enjoy the clear blue waters off our coast.

Here is a couple shots, The area is called Pleasant Harbour

The view from the property next to the building ( 32' x 32' )

View attachment 694571

View from half way out on the wharf looking back at the building and my work van next to it on one of my 3 times looking over the property

View attachment 694570

An aerial view I took off the computer , google earth. Half the property is cleared and the back half is 100 x 100 feet in the trees

View attachment 694573

We are so happy to find a piece we could afford on the ocean. now off to see the lawyer and get it all finalizes. I think we can start working on it mid May.

He used to be a fisherman and had a very large fishing boat here tied to the wharf , but that was 10 to 15 years ago. Water is very deep and clear all around the rock wharf.

Mona is a happy Lady. i might get lucky this month, lol

View attachment 694568 View attachment 694572

Thanks for looking

David.......ps: I guess I am not retiring for a few more years yet.

Congratulations. that would be $1Million down here in S Florida.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky