On the Edge of Trying Sausage Making

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Seeing all this Sausage making threads getting me enabled. I have not tackled this since would mainly be just making for myself and would not need much. I am looking at the Backyard Pro Commercial 5 lb. Sausage Stuffer (Vertical) and would be using my KitchenAid to grind. I know should get the LEM but really don't want to spend that much at this point. When I was working in Dallas use to stop by Hirsch's Meats who makes great fresh sausages but they getting $$ like everything and dont get down that way much anymore. Not even sure where to start at this point but will spend some time reading threads. Talk me off the Edge!

Yup just jump in. The setup you are talking about should work perfectly fine. It’s a fun hobby plus you get to eat your mistakes.

Reactions: nlife
Don't need either to get started. Buy some ground pork and make loose stuff like bfast or chorizo. I made brat burgers too. Did that for a few years. I have Hakka 7lb stuffer but fell in love with using a jerky gun to stuff.

We started with a KA, for grinding & stuffing, and quickly found that for a few bucks I could get a dedicated grinder & stuffer. But I think you are smart getting the stuffer, and if you’re doing small batches the KA grinder will be fine. But I think that if you continue down this road you will want a grinder too.
Al

I just started by getting the Hakka 7 lb stuffer for a fairly cheap price. Also bought a MES40 electric smoker on sale at Menard's for $225. So far I've bought ground beef/pork from a local butcher until I get a grinder. It's worked very well so far. Super fun hobby.

Jump in... the water is warm! I was anxious / nervous about it for quite some time, but once I started there was no turning back. I was using a hand me down Weston #8 grinder, but I ponied up the money for a 5 lb LEM stuffer. I have since bought a nice LEM #8 when a great sale presented itself so that is that. Keep your eyes peeled... there are good deals to be found. And what zwiller zwiller said... you can make loose stuff and patty it up or just vac seal whatever size portion fits your lifestyle. I'm gonna say it's fun, and at the same time very satisfying. You know exactly what is in your sausage and when you nail it you'll be very happy you did. Get some! And pics or it didn't happen!

As a matter of fact, I had some French style Chipolata that I made for dinner last night and left overs for breakfast. It was very tasty...

I'm fixin to try my hand at this also. So far I've just collected stuff to do it with. Got a MES 30", a cheap grinder, and a vertical stuffer from the sausage maker. All bought from auction sites. So I don't have a lot invested in this.
Have the MES rewired with hi-temp stainless connectors along with higher temp thermal switch. Workin on getting that now.

I'm fixin to try my hand at this also. So far I've just collected stuff to do it with. Got a MES 30", a cheap grinder, and a vertical stuffer from the sausage maker. All bought from auction sites. So I don't have a lot invested in this.
Have the MES rewired with hi-temp stainless connectors along with higher temp thermal switch. Workin on getting that now.
what sites did you find the grinder/stuffer?

Not a big deal but 5 lbs of meat spices and added water will not fit in a 5lb stuffer
Not all at one time....no, I use to fill it, then start stuffing. After moving the plunger down to make room, I'd back it out and add what was left of the meat paste...keep on stuffing. Not a big deal with a small 5# stuffer...

Yes, it's super easy to reload a stuffer. I've got a 5# LEM stuffer and it works great. I only ever make batches less than 10 pounds, though. I used the Kitchenaid as my grinder for a long time and that works really well. You will eventually want a dedicated grinder, but it's not nearly as big of deal as a dedicated stuffer. I did use the kitchenaid for stuffing as well for a brief period. I didn't find it as bad as everyone else seems to, but it does suck.

Don't need either to get started. Buy some ground pork and make loose stuff like bfast or chorizo. I made brat burgers too.
Sam beat me to it Brian . This is the place to start . Hot pork sausage makes a great burger type sandwich .

I do bulk ground pork chorizo for tacos .
Not a big deal with a small 5# stuffer...
I make 2 1/2 pound batches . I load 2 1/2 pounds at time . Total batch weight is around 25 pounds . Works perfect .
I've put some sausage through my 5lb. Lem .

You can roll bulk into shape but not everyone is fan of the look. Not my pic...

nc_ohc=Dr-JXR-liDIAb5W1JaN&_nc_ht=scontent.ftol2-1.jpg

LOL

In all seriousness, I read a thread like this one time and went to the store and got ground pork and made Pops breakfast. When I was done I sorta shocked just how easy it was and couldn't believe I put if off that long.

Seeing all this Sausage making threads getting me enabled. I have not tackled this since would mainly be just making for myself and would not need much. I am looking at the Backyard Pro Commercial 5 lb. Sausage Stuffer (Vertical) and would be using my KitchenAid to grind. I know should get the LEM but really don't want to spend that much at this point. When I was working in Dallas use to stop by Hirsch's Meats who makes great fresh sausages but they getting $$ like everything and dont get down that way much anymore. Not even sure where to start at this point but will spend some time reading threads. Talk me off the Edge!
I think you will be good to start with that setup.
I'm not sure what surface you will be doing this on (kitchen table?) but be sure you have a pair of clamps that will clamp that stuffer to the working surface without worry of marking up the surface (like if using a kitchen table). You will likely need a pair so your stuffer isn't moving or lifting while cranking.

Something like these with plastic covers gets the job done:
1IbD4J4N-L._AC_SX679_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky