On the Edge of Trying Sausage Making

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes. The small diameter of jerky gun piston makes it very easy to extrude even thick farce into small tube
This is absolutely true. I started with jerky guns w/ 10mm tube/15mm casings. Went through about 7 different guns until I landed on the LEM jerky gun which was absolutely the best.
It was quite clean and fast compared to other small batch methods.
Also very true. It's the best way to prototype sausage recipes IMO, and why I'm able to experiment on several different batches a day.

When I started moving to larger quantities, I then tried moving to true sausage stuffers and found myself perpetually disappointed by them. I went to Hakka 3lb horiz, which couldn't get enough force, then went to Hakka 7lb vertical which is a safety hazard at 10mm (since the pressure is so high the handle wants to whack you in the face). Then I went to the Hakka 22# electric which wasted so much material. It wasn't until I went to the LEM #10 big bite electric stuffer that I was satisfied.

Correct.
I have two tubes that I fashioned to fit my jerky gun.
Most 2" tubes will fit most jerky guns (at least they did on all 7 of the different guns I owned). Guns have greater tolerances, so they'll work a tube with a 1 15/16" base, like the LEM big bite, and they'll also work with a true 2" tube or one slightly larger even).

When I moved to the Hakka electric, all tubes from Hakka worked just fine on my guns, but only some of my jerky gun tubes would work on the Hakka electric. It was even worse for the LEM bigbite, all the LEM tubes would work fine on my gun, but all my favorite tubes wouldn't work on the LEM. I had to grind them all to a consistent 1 15/16" so I could use them on both my stuffer and my jerky gun.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge
LEM sells a couple of longer nozzles for stuffing casings.
One in 3/4 and one in 3/8. I have the 3/4 one and it works well. Probably too big for sheep casing though.
Yeah, I bought the 3/8 one and was really disappointed it was measured in inner diameter and not outer diameter. When I was talking earlier about 9-10mm tubes, I was talking about outer diameter.

Here's my favorite horn for 3/8 outer diameter (used for 14-15mm casings): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QGZKSFB

Not the best welding job on that guy, but that can be easily fixed. If you want to stuff 15mm casings without having to cut them down from what comes in the caddy, there's nothing better imo. I suppose I'm digressing a bit, but I just wanted to point out that LEM is weird in having their tubes advertised by inner diameter. That smaller tube from LEM is fine for sheep casings.

LEM sells a couple of longer nozzles for stuffing casings.
One in 3/4 and one in 3/8. I have the 3/4 one and it works well. Probably too big for sheep casing though.

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/jerky-cannon-sausage-nozzle/jerky-making-supplies

https://www.lemproducts.com/product...gMCwgIjIwMjQtMDYtMjBUMjM6NDI6NDEuOTk1MzM2WiJd
Okay thanks. Im thinking the 3/8 would work for lamb casing. What jerky gun would you recommend. Does the LEM nozzle only work with LEM jerky gun? Thanks

Okay thanks. Im thinking the 3/8 would work for lamb casing. What jerky gun would you recommend. Does the LEM nozzle only work with LEM jerky gun? Thanks
I've tried most of them. The LEM Jerky gun is the best. No contest.

The LEM tube will have a 2" base, so it'll work with other jerky guns. You can also buy a set of generic tubes for cheaper, and if it has a 2" base (or 1 15/16" base, or 2.05" base), it should work on your jerky gun as well. A 2.20" base is probably too big. (Edit: A 2.20-2.25" base should also be fine)

Last edited:
I've tried most of them. The LEM Jerky gun is the best. No contest.

The LEM tube will have a 2" base, so it'll work with other jerky guns. You can also buy a set of generic tubes for cheaper, and if it has a 2" base (or 1 15/16" base, or 2.05" base), it should work on your jerky gun as well. A 2.20" base is probably too big.
I'm guessing you're referring to the Jerky Cannon. It's the metal one. I love mine. Only one I've tried thanks to seeing it on here a few years ago.

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/jerky-cannon/jerky-making-supplies

LEM's website says the 3/8 tube is 2 1/8" base diameter and the 3/4 one is a 2 1/4" base.

I'm guessing you're referring to the Jerky Cannon. It's the metal one. I love mine. Only one I've tried thanks to seeing it on here a few years ago.

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/jerky-cannon/jerky-making-supplies

LEM's website says the 3/8 tube is 2 1/8" base diameter and the 3/4 one is a 2 1/4" base.
Ah, yes -- I was talking about the Jerky cannon. I was using the term "jerky gun" generically, but it looks like a super tiny LEM "jerky gun" available which would be super confusing.

Just got out and measured my cannon with calipers. It measures 2 1/4", so it should work with both those. It definitely also works with 1 15/16" base (of the LEM #10 electric stuffer), since that is what I use.

Yeah, I bought the 3/8 one and was really disappointed it was measured in inner diameter and not outer diameter. When I was talking earlier about 9-10mm tubes, I was talking about outer diameter.

Here's my favorite horn for 3/8 outer diameter (used for 14-15mm casings): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QGZKSFB

Not the best welding job on that guy, but that can be easily fixed. If you want to stuff 15mm casings without having to cut them down from what comes in the caddy, there's nothing better imo. I suppose I'm digressing a bit, but I just wanted to point out that LEM is weird in having their tubes advertised by inner diameter. That smaller tube from LEM is fine for sheep casings.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky