• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

OK, It's My Turn...

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
...to try my hand at BBB. It's something I've been saying I was going to do for a LONG time, but just kept putting it off. Now, with all of these recent posts and Boston Butts 99¢/lb., the time has come. Well that and the fact that I think I've finally got a scale I can trust...:emoji_laughing:

Boned out a 10 lb. butt and ended up with 2 pieces. Calculated and mixed up the cure and into the fridge for a couple of weeks...
20240109_191939[1].jpg

I'll be back...

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Looks good but how thick is that 2070g piece? I’m in for the finish too.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
Along for the ride Charles.
I made BBB a number of years ago and wasn't satisfied with my results.
Thinking to give it a another try.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
So…..we’re gonna be eating bacon and eggs in about 2 weeks?

Jim

912smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 29, 2020
I want to also try it but can't seem to get the nerve 😕

Keith

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Looks good Charles, and you are right. A good scale is needed for good measurements.

I like at least 14 days like Eric SmokinEdge SmokinEdge said, that way if things happen I am still good for a couple days after if need be . I never go less.

David

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Good scales and a slicer are what took away all my excuses...

Yes Charles after I hit post , I realized I forgot to put in slicer also.

All the gear for a small meat factory now . And I myself have to get going on some of my list also. So my machines don't gather more dust.

David

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
Ok, it's getting close to the time to smoke my BBB, hopefully Wednesday. I seem to remember a couple of folks not rinsing before smoking, so I've been reading some of the other threads to refresh my memory. Neither mr_whipple mr_whipple or SmokinEdge SmokinEdge rinse, just pat dry, but do you rest overnight afterwards or just straight to the smoker?

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Ok, it's getting close to the time to smoke my BBB, hopefully Wednesday. I seem to remember a couple of folks not rinsing before smoking, so I've been reading some of the other threads to refresh my memory. Neither mr_whipple mr_whipple or SmokinEdge SmokinEdge rinse, just pat dry, but do you rest overnight afterwards or just straight to the smoker?
I don't. I keep it in the cure until I'm ready to smoke. I pull it out and let it sit on the counter waiting for the smoker to come up to temp... I hot smoke mine on the camp chef pellet pooper. After cooling for a while in a cold oven (just to keep it out of the way and away from the four leggers) I do let it set overnight in the fridge before slicing. Good luck and lets see some slice shots!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
Clicky