Oh good grief .. $23 for a smashburger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
which is really an Oklahoma onion burger. And using wagyu for a smashburger, yeah right , that would justify jacking the price way up.

This illustrates some of the absurdity of food fads and trends.

Here in my house, we've gone back to thicker patties as we've had too many Oklahoma onion burgers in the past few years.

Fancy Burgers Get the Smashdown Treatment

Smaller, flattened patties with tons of texture give the classic stacked, juicy hamburger new competition

Today’s burger fans are snubbing the sky-high steakhouse hamburger for thinner, easier-to-bite alternatives.

Some fast-food chains and diners have long served smash-style burgers—Shake Shack and, yes, Smashburger among them. But higher-end restaurants have started posting smashed-down patties on social media to draw in crowds in recent years.

Sean MacDonald, chef owner of Burgette in Santa Monica, Calif., says he wanted to offer a smash burger because of its browning and quick prep time.

The upscale restaurant opened two months ago and includes Parisian-inspired twists, including Mimolette cheese and brioche buns. Using top-notch ingredients, including Wagyu beef patties, which offer a better fat ratio, allows MacDonald to sell the smash burgers as entrees for about $20.

Some restaurateurs say low prices and high volume are keys to their recent hamburger success. Jeff Goodman, who originally started selling smash burgers out of his Los Angeles-area steakhouse, American Beauty, has launched three stand-alone restaurants since 2020. Though the original steakhouse still offers a $23 burger, Goodman saw demand for more lower-cost smash burgers.

“When you’re cooking it to well done, it’s really very difficult for anyone to tell the difference,” says Jamie Schweid, president of ground beef purveyor Schweid & Sons in Carlstadt, N.J.

Schweid now gets more requests for puck-shaped patties that can be smashed down on the flat top from restaurants around the country. Still, smash burgers make up just 1% of the company’s business.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
I like smoking burgers and using the left overs for sloppy joe's. Made my first smashed in a long time last week and they where good. Ended up eating them 3 days in a row while I had my electric flat top out. Eating out is just getting crazy! I feel for the Mom & Pop places. They dropping like crazy around here.

"Sean MacDonald, chef owner of Burgette in Santa Monica, Calif...

I'll bet his first idea of a name for his burger restaurant was quickly smashed by a bunch of corporate attorneys with Golden Arches on their letterhead.

We live in a small Mtn town. Every burger is $18-$22, with one exception that is $15. Fries with all of them. It’s a lot for a burger. Shit - 2 burgers and 2 beers is $50 easy.

Can do the same deal at home for about $10 with good local brews in a can. But I will admit, sometimes it’s just nice to be out with the community. Each has its place.

"Sean MacDonald, chef owner of Burgette in Santa Monica, Calif...

I'll bet his first idea of a name for his burger restaurant was quickly smashed by a bunch of corporate attorneys with Golden Arches on their letterhead.
I seem to remember something similar... no, no, completely different!

the absurdity of food fads and trends
I'm glad we all moved on from cupcakes, shishito peppers, and space-foods

which is really an Oklahoma onion burger. And using wagyu for a smashburger, yeah right , that would justify jacking the price way up.

Here in my house, we've gone back to thicker patties as we've had too many Oklahoma onion burgers in the past few years.

Smaller, flattened patties with tons of texture give the classic stacked, juicy hamburger new competition

when on sale we buy 5 lbs of "80/20" (they call chuck) Mama repackages in 1.25lb vacuum bags for things like tacos and sloppy joes. Before she starts repackaging i get into it and make up a bunch of 3oz balls to have pre-done for smash burgers. nice to put in their own suck bag for when we want smash burgers. first time i had a "smash burger I said ,"damn... just like steak n shake.

• Haha
Reactions: 912smoker
I agree with sandyut sandyut it can b done cheaper at home and I actually would rather do it at home. But getting out and socializing is sometimes worth the money!
And like BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma said....Smoking some good thick burgers and using the left over for sloppy joes or even spaghetti is excellent also!
Jim

Reactions: sandyut
Burger and fries at IHOP here is $12.50. Wendy's double no fries is 7.86 after tax. The sports bar's burgers here are $14-15 with fries.

I never got the smash-burger trend. Took me years to realize smashing a burger squeezes juice out of it. Now I cringe when I see someone grilling a burger and smashing it with the spatula. If I made burgers with store-bought ground beef I might try smashburgers because I would want to cook them through. I like med-rare burgers so I grind all my own from chuck and always cook on a flat iron griddle these days. I seldom order a burger at a restaurant, I like to order stuff I DON'T make at home when I can.

Everything has gone up. A result of printing fiat money we dont have as a nation. When they simply print more paper dollars, it makes the ones in circulation worth less along with what they just printed. Problem is our paychecks seldom keep up with inflation. I'm watching as the company I work for raises prices because their costs are rising, except labor, because our checks dont get raised when they raise their prices to customers. We still get our bumps at the regular review intervals.

Reactions: JLeonard

My grandfather used to refuse to eat any burger that he said could be slid under gap at the bottom of the door. I used to think that was a bit extreme, but this wave of smash burgers & the exorbitant prices that keep occurring make me think he was onto something.

Give me a good ole 1/3 lb patty with some cheese on top & a toasty bun any day of the week. None of this pancake-thin burger tomfoolery.

Reactions: dls1 and JLeonard
I don't see how wagyu is gonna add anything to the flavor of a smashburger.

All that fat that renders, is just gonna get smashed out. I don't think juicy is the desired result.

IMO, its pure marketing.

Everything has gone up. A result of printing fiat money we dont have as a nation. When they simply print more paper dollars, it makes the ones in circulation worth less along with what they just printed. Problem is our paychecks seldom keep up with inflation. I'm watching as the company I work for raises prices because their costs are rising, except labor, because our checks dont get raised when they raise their prices to customers. We still get our bumps at the regular review intervals.

Hey now, some folks are doing just fine, so clearly those who aren't just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and work harder! /s
Kroger executives:
1719324290881.jpeg

[also, not shown: the $523,769 that Kroger paid an outside consultant just "to advise the Compensation Committee in the design of Kroger's executive compensation"]

Company to customers & employees: "Don't blame us, we're struggling to keep up with inflation! Government is *clearly* the issue!"
Same company to shareholders: "Look at our massive profits! Those rubes just keep buying!"
1719323669252.png

Plenty of the (usually smaller) companies are actually on the consumer side of this disconnect, getting screwed by supplier oligopolies, but -someones- are making bank and it ain't us.

We live in a small Mtn town. Every burger is $18-$22, with one exception that is $15. Fries with all of them. It’s a lot for a burger. Shit - 2 burgers and 2 beers is $50 easy.

Can do the same deal at home for about $10 with good local brews in a can. But I will admit, sometimes it’s just nice to be out with the community. Each has its place.
I'm with ya on that, we live in a smaller mountain town as well. Me the wife and 2 young kids go to our local burger joint here and will easily spend $80.00 - $100.00 bucks and that doesn't include tip. We don't eat out very much because of that.

Reactions: sandyut
Hey now, some folks are doing just fine, so clearly those who aren't just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and work harder! /s
Kroger executives:
View attachment 699448
[also, not shown: the $523,769 that Kroger paid an outside consultant just "to advise the Compensation Committee in the design of Kroger's executive compensation"]

Company to customers & employees: "Don't blame us, we're struggling to keep up with inflation! Government is *clearly* the issue!"
Same company to shareholders: "Look at our massive profits! Those rubes just keep buying!"
View attachment 699446

Plenty of the (usually smaller) companies are actually on the consumer side of this disconnect, getting screwed by supplier oligopolies, but -someones- are making bank and it ain't us.
Corporate greed was the baseline. Inflation, deflation and stagflation simply layer on top of that. What's your point though, inflation of the currency is not real? The haves and have-nots have been around for millennia. If it weren't for corporate greed (many simply call it "profit") insulin and cancer treatments would be free for all. I firmly believe the cures for some diseases exist, but profits are the priority, not humanity. So in that sense, we agree. However the inflation we see today is a direct result of printing fiat money. The corporate execs were making phat money 5 years ago when gas was just over $2 a gallon too. COVID unleashed the government printing press...again...and COVID itself is an entirely "special" conversation in itself! Wars are one of the other excuses for printing money that doesn't exist. Talk about industry making mad profits...

I was on the road yesterday and needed to grab something to go I could eat on the straight runs of the roads. The Q place in the little Podunk town I was driving through just north of me was closed for the day, so I figured Hardee's or Subway was going to be my choices, then I remembered another newer restaurant that opened on main street and swung in on a whim.

I thought they had a better sandwich selection than what I saw on the menu, so, after this subject popped up here, I decided on...you guessed it...the double smash burger! There really wasn't anything else that appealed to me. I figured I could contain the burger with napkins well enough to eat on the road. $17 with potato wedges. Not bieng "fast food", the only good news is I had time to drink a Belgian blonde ale with an orange twist while waiting. Just one...I was driving...

The burger was OK, but as I figured, the meat was cooked gray and I certainly didn't need to worry about juice dripping on my shirt. In retrospect, I would have likely been happier with a Hardee's burger and would have saved myself 15 minutes and $20-25 and it may have been pre-wrapped for eating on the go.

I spent $32 with a tip. I cant sit at a bar having a beer without tipping even if my food is takeout...and of course I have to tip the whole tab, not just the beer. I'm likely doing much better financially than the young lady bartending, otherwise I wouldn’t be there...but I did skip that heinous 50¢ add charge for freaking pickles on the burger! Seriously...pickles...

I might try a "smash burger" at another joint just to test the "ravings" of other people about the fad. But I think its just that, a fad...in these parts at least. We don’t have White Castle here, but from what I've seen on TV, they smash burgers thin, but the difference I've seen is, some places combine onions with the burger on the griddle which not only adds flavor, but also adds back in the moisture from smashing the freaking burger!

However the inflation we see today is a direct result of printing fiat money. The corporate execs were making phat money 5 years ago when gas was just over $2 a gallon too.
You are correct about this being the part we disagree on. Since 2020, more money/demand has had far less inflationary impact than the shortage of goods (computer chips for cars, grain from Ukraine, petroleum from Russia, etc.) and backlog from supply-chain & production decisions, according to NBER, BLS, World Bank, and most other nonpartisan economists. Energy shocks, alone, counted for about half the rise in core inflation.

As an aside, if printing more money inherently led to major inflation, all of that Quantitative Easing after 2008 would have produced huge inflation, which is what deficit hawks actually expected and warned about... but it didn't. Banks licked their (self-inflicted) wounds, complied with new banking regulation, and moved on.

As a whole, corporate profits have gone up significantly in the past few years, relative to the rest of the economy. The stock buybacks, executive compensation packages, and other forms of hoarding - as opposed to wage growth, investing in expanding production, or corporate taxes, all of which move the money back into greater circulation - are not static, and have worsened. Government printing is meant to stimulate economic activity (within limits); if hoarding had remained relatively baseline, we actually would have had more impact, more circulation, from that spending.

I might try a "smash burger" at another joint just to test the "ravings" of other people about the fad. But I think its just that, a fad
On this, we totally agree. Somebody figured out there was novelty in making a hash brown out of beef, I guess?

Reactions: wisejudy
the Smashburger chain admittedly makes a good burger. Took my daughter there a few weeks ago. They don't have 'combos' - so no burger/fry/drink for 12.99

43$ for the 2 of us.
I was on the road yesterday and needed to grab something to go I could eat on the straight runs of the roads. The Q place in the little Podunk town I was driving through just north of me was closed for the day, so I figured Hardee's or Subway was going to be my choices, then I remembered another newer restaurant that opened on main street and swung in on a whim.

I thought they had a better sandwich selection than what I saw on the menu, so, after this subject popped up here, I decided on...you guessed it...the double smash burger! There really wasn't anything else that appealed to me. I figured I could contain the burger with napkins well enough to eat on the road. $17 with potato wedges. Not bieng "fast food", the only good news is I had time to drink a Belgian blonde ale with an orange twist while waiting. Just one...I was driving...

The burger was OK, but as I figured, the meat was cooked gray and I certainly didn't need to worry about juice dripping on my shirt. In retrospect, I would have likely been happier with a Hardee's burger and would have saved myself 15 minutes and $20-25 and it may have been pre-wrapped for eating on the go.

I spent $32 with a tip. I cant sit at a bar having a beer without tipping even if my food is takeout...and of course I have to tip the whole tab, not just the beer. I'm likely doing much better financially than the young lady bartending, otherwise I wouldn’t be there...but I did skip that heinous 50¢ add charge for freaking pickles on the burger! Seriously...pickles...

I might try a "smash burger" at another joint just to test the "ravings" of other people about the fad. But I think its just that, a fad...in these parts at least. We don’t have White Castle here, but from what I've seen on TV, they smash burgers thin, but the difference I've seen is, some places combine onions with the burger on the griddle which not only adds flavor, but also adds back in the moisture from smashing the freaking burger!
I admittedly could put a YUGE dent in a suitcase of White Castles. Gimme 12 mayo packs wit dat!

I've only had them like 3x in my life and absolutely loved them each time.

Wife and I split a 1/2# patty melt with a bigger helping of fries at local place (NW MN) for $15
In central Florida we cannot split a burger (Where's the Beef?), but damn those buns are big. Bill is more than double the $15

Food fads and the marketing hype tied to them have really changed our consumer perspective.
Chicken wings, pork ribs, beef brisket, beef ribs used to be very affordable.

Chicken wings, pork ribs, beef brisket, beef ribs used to be very affordable.
Back in the day, WAY back, when I worked for Winn Dixie in the meat department, we couldn't give those things away. Brisket always went into the hamburger and the other items went into the bone barrel after a few days in the counter...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky