No cure dry age.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JOSH C

Original poster
May 2, 2024
I have 3 different whole muscles dry aging in the fridge in UMAI bags. I had a pork loin that I cured using cure #1 and then smoked. I tried a chop from the loin today and it had a very very hammy taste that I didn’t care for much. I used the correct amount of cure for sure. Question is are all of my dry aged muscles in the fridge going to have that hammy taste when curing is complete? 2nd question do you guys always use cure number 2 for your dry aging as I did for the 3 muscles mentioned above , can I dry age in the fridge using no cure just salt? I

Edit : my method is dry brining/cure using the required amount of salt sugar and cure number two sealed in a vac bag using the calculator per thickness to get my curing time. After cured drying /aging in the fridge till 35% weight loss. The 3 cuts of meat are 2 pork loins and 1 eye of round. I’m actually not using UMAI bags I prefer another brand I just didn’t want to confuse people by calling the wraps a different name

Last edited:
The cure #2 is gonna depend on how long you are letting them cure but certainly needed for curing over 30 days

Might as well post up your entire process, cuts of meat and what you are trying to achieve. Plenty of help to be had here

Reactions: chopsaw
Are you doing Umai ? That's not the same as dry aging . Dry aging does not use cure .
If you're using Umai bags , follow the Umai directions .

The cure #2 is gonna depend on how long you are letting them cure but certainly needed for curing over 30 days

Are you doing Umai ? That's not the same as dry aging . Dry aging does not use cure .
If you're using Umai bags , follow the Umai directions .
Using umami is still dry aging correct? It’s just a different methods in the fridge rather a drying chamber? Is this right or am I wrong?

People can help though if you just answer the asked questions. Nobody even knows what you are attempting so definitely hard to help

Reactions: JOSH C
People can help though if you just answer the asked questions. Nobody even knows what you are attempting so definitely hard to help
I appreciate the help for sure it’s just hard for me to get my questions across

And I’m certainly not trying to come off as a jerk lol. We just need to know what you are doing so we can help

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky