New Smoker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's what I would expect. I was reading some OCGF owners , that said it took up to 2 hours.

Here's from another site on the OCGF

This doesn't bother me too much, but the lack of airflow that I have experienced with this smoker is not acceptable. From startup to get up to 275 degrees takes 1-1/2 - 2 hours - even with the fire box door open. I can even deal with this as well, and just start it up earlier, as I really want to love this smoker. The real problem is the recovery time though. My second cook was some ribs, and after taking the ribs out to wrap and put back in the smoker, after an hour, the internal temp was just barely back over 200.

That's what I would expect. I was reading some OCGF owners , that said it took up to 2 hours.

Here's from another site on the OCGF
I just looked up the smoker that you’re talking about. Let’s just say this Assassin is light years better than that brand.

I just looked up the smoker that you’re talking about. Let’s just say this Assassin is light years better than that brand.
Yes, and I think the major difference is the design of the exchange between the chute and the cook chamber.

I've looked at Assasins before, and the ones I saw, had a deflector plate well above the bottom of the cook chamber. Doing that , they don't have to force air down, the way the OCGF does.

Any smoker that lets hot air rise is gonna have better air flow.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, the Southern Q Limo Jr.

Notice how high it sets off the ground , a bit higher than the OCGF. The bottom of the cook chamber is even with the bottom of the door. That allows for the ash pan to sit below the cook chamber, can see that in the top pic.

And then heat from the coal bed has a direct path into the bottom of the cook chamber. There's no 90* turns and its not forced down like the OCGF.

I'm pretty sure Assassin does the same thing, just from watching YT vids of owner reviews.

Southern Limo Jr.jpg
southern limo jr1.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a YouTuber review of the Assassin 24 and this vid should start at the 3:07 mark, with a camera shot of the chute/cook chamber exchange. There are no 90* turns or baffles forcing the air down. And open flame is shooting into the cook chamber. Speaking as a stick burner guy, that's a good thing :emoji_grinning:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky