New Masterbuilt Charcoal Cabinet Digital

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I thought about soaking the chunks in water for 30 minutes before using. I hate that method, but maybe worth a try?

Stu,
Yes I put 1 small 2" chunk of Hickory in the partition, and it eventually flared up as well. I only used 4 chunks total, 1 in the partition, and 3 scattered among the Briquets. I'm thinking this next time putting the 3-4 chunks on the bottom of the Briquets, and the Briquets on top? Maybe then if the chunks flare up, it won's be so close to the top, and not throw the error code. I've watched a few youtube videos, but they all show putting the chunks on top of the Briquets. No mention of flare ups.

Hmmm... putting the chunks under the briquettes is worth a try.

I thought about soaking the chunks in water for 30 minutes before using. I hate that method, but maybe worth a try?

Psst...I soak my chunks before adding them to the Sportsman Grill. It helps a little to stop the chunks from catching immediately.
It is worth a try too.

Psst...I soak my chunks before adding them to the Sportsman Grill. It helps a little to stop the chunks from catching immediately.
It is worth a try too.
I'm gonna soak the chunks a little this next time and put them under the Briquets also. I'll let you know how it goes.
After this one, I'm gonna try one with Lump Charcoal instead of Briquets.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Hey guys, just wanted to check and see if there's any more info about this smoker you may have to offer. Do you recommend it? Sounds like it probably isn't a very good set-and-forget type of unit based on what I'm seeing so far.

Hey guys, just wanted to check and see if there's any more info about this smoker you may have to offer. Do you recommend it? Sounds like it probably isn't a very good set-and-forget type of unit based on what I'm seeing so far.
I used it for 4 months and didn't like the results. The idea was good, the bluetooth and wifi worked ok. But no matter what I did, any wood I added to the coals would flare up and cause an error code. That caused me to have to turn it off, restart, etc. So I could never get wood flavor out of it, only charcoal. I gifted it to a friend that has a lot more patience than I do. I got a Chargriller Charcoal Grill #2175 with add on side smoker making it an offset smoker. I've used it a few times and it works great, just not for long cooks. I still use my MES 40 as my main Smoker. Hoping this helps.

Yep, that's kinda what I've been seeing in the various reviews too. I was considering it because of a deal that just got posted, but it sounds like a pass to me. Thanks for the quick response!

No problem. I just saw a deal for it at Wallyworld for $250. I paid the original price of $440 I think.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky