New here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ngof15

Original poster
May 2, 2020
Hey all, I’ve been reading through this forum for a while and finally signed up. I been learning how to smoke meat for about a year now. Before that just grilling but I’m super hooked on trying to make delicious bbq. I’m running an entry level smoker Kingsford Sierra model and modified it a bit to add silicon sealant and gasket to help stop leaks.

I practice every weekend and been producing some consistently delicious pork ribs on my smoker, decent pork butt too but struggling with brisket. I did 3 so far the first one was a flat only my girl got by mistake, it came out alright just kind of dry and then my first packer came out alright but I failed to trim it properly and it was kinda gross imo but my dad and girls gma loved it. My last attempt came out terrible. I could have used some of the slices as cordage in a pinch. It was tough. Anyways every week I’m trying to get better. Looking forward to learning.

I have a ton of questions but wanted to introduce myself here first. Thanks

Reactions: kruizer
Thanks for the welcomes and hello from South Central Texas

Tough brisket = undercooked.

Get skewer, probe meat starting at about ish 198. When prob slides with VERY little resistance throughout brisket, she's done.

IDGAF what your thermo says. Could be done at 198, might not be done until 210.
Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky