New cheese Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roddy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Hamilton (Mercer) NJ.
I have done two batches of cheeses. They are my first cheese cold smokes. They have sat for 4 and 5 weeks in the fridge.

Heres my question. My first batch I opened and the flavor was very smoky strong but as a few days past the strong smoke went away and the cheese flavor poked thru very nicely. So does the smoke flavor  get stronger as it sits or does it mellow into the cheese? I have several blocks of cheese I would like to use at Thanksgiving and I'm afraid they will be too strong in the smoke. I did Gouda,Horsradish in white cheddar, and swiss. Can I open the cheese packs and let them vent in plain plastic bags?

I wouldn't vent it will dry out my cheese seems to mellow with age or bloom how long did you smoke it what type of wood 4 to 5 weeks should be plenty of time to rest

The smoke builds up on the outside as you are smoking. The cheese density mostly just lets it build up on the outside of the block. After giving it some time the smoke will start to absorb into the block making it seem like it is mellowing.

I noticed that after sitting for a month the smoke seemed a little strong at first but after another day after opening it seemed to mellow. Maybe it needs to breath a little.

The cheese mellows as it ages.  At first it accumulates on the surface, and it would be bitter and nasty, and then it will mellow as the smoke penetrates the cheese. 

I just openend some that I smoked in late December 2011 and everyone raved about it.

But if you are going to smoke some cheese for this Thanksgiving, I doubt you will have enough time. Perhaps for Christmas or New Year's., but not Thanksgiving.

My neighbor tells me that fresh Mozzarella is quicker than cheddar, but I haven't tried it (yet).

Last edited:
This wed. is 5 weeks for the second batch. I smoked it for about 2 hours with a mix of alder and cherry. That may have been too strong.

I will certainly use a lighter wood like pecan or peach next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky