New and need some advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Graeme Thomas

Original poster
Dec 9, 2017
Ok, I am from New Zealand and literaly just starting to get into the American style of BBQ and smoking. Because of this I really need some advice. I have been looking at smokers but I am at a bit of a cross road in what direction to go, do I go with a (I guess conventional) wood burning offset smoker, or do I go with an electric pallet smoker similar to the Yoder YS 640? Where I live both are close to the same price 64 USD more for the electric pallet smoker with large large pallet hopper, set temp in 5 degree increments, can monitor temperature from your smart phone, I can grill on it and so on. I can see this giving me good results almost from the start. BUT, is this really smoking? Is there any difference in flavour between a pallet smoker and a wood burning smoker. The techy nerd part of me likes the idea of the pallet burner, the purest part of me likes the idea of the cook being completely controlled by me.
I am sure this is a contentious debate already.
Oh what to do?
Appreciate your advice.

Welcome to the forum.
Obviously the pellet burner is much easier to use, however you won't get the same flavor you get with a wood burning smoker. The problem is with the cheaper offsets the metal is thin & it's harder to keep the temps steady.
But there are a number of mods you can do to them to make them more efficient.
But it sounds to me like you are up for a challenge & if your willing to babysit your smoker, I think you will enjoy the offset more.
Al

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a cool, foggy and damp day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky