Need New Grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Sausage making day. Got my AC Leggs breakfast sausage made up. Next went to grind my pork for my Cuban sausage and the stud that keeps the grinder from turning around on the KA broke. I had switched plates and put grinder in freezer. I assume it froze together. Time for a regular grinder but I don't want to break the bank. I have an old cheap one but I think I messed it up. Had the bright idea of trying to grind corn in it for my home brewing. The search begins. At least I got threw it. Still got to make meat loaf. At least I don't have to grind that! Just called my buddy and said not making our brewery day.:emoji_disappointed:

Reactions: JLeonard
That sucks . I know it's commonly mentioned , but I never go in the freezer with grinder parts .
You'll get the LEM suggestions . Good choice for sure .
I have this one . Put a bunch of meat through it . Be an upgrade from the kitchen aide for sure .

Reactions: indaswamp
That sucks . I know it's commonly mentioned , but I never go in the freezer with grinder parts .
I have this one . Put a bunch of meat through it . Be an upgrade from the kitchen aide for sure .
I like that Rich!

Reactions: chopsaw
I like that Rich!
I'm on my 5th hank of hog casings , 2nd of sheep , not to mention all the bulk , SS and lunch meat I've done . Never any trouble with it . They say it's quiet . I say it not .
Most times I can't feed it fast enough .
20221025_082339.jpg
20221025_084408.jpg
Hand wash only . Not dishwasher safe , but super easy to clean .
20221025_090254.jpg
Just thought I would show it as an option .

I'm on my 5th hank of hog casings , 2nd of sheep , not to mention all the bulk , SS and lunch meat I've done . Never any trouble with it . They say it's quiet . I say it not .
View attachment 698190
View attachment 698191
View attachment 698192
How's do on heating up?

I ask because I use like a 2011 model 450-500W Waring-Pro grinder they don't make anymore and should it die on me I think I want something similar and yours seems similar.
I NEVER have to put any of its parts in the freezer AND it does not heat up at all like the horror stories we've seen mentioned.

I'd love to get a nice LEM but I also don't like to get 60 pound machines that take up a bunch of space for the few times a year I use them. So I guess I'm more of trying to find the exact form/fit/function more than something that is overkill or a pain to work with :D

I ask because I use like a 2011 model 450-500W Waring-Pro grinder they don't make anymore and should it die on me I think I want something similar and yours seems similar.
I think it's either a Weston , Waring , or Kitchener . I'm leaning Kitchener , but those 3 are somewhat the same .
I have no issues with it heating up . I grind maybe 2 butts and a brisket when I process .
Meat is always cold going in .
20200907_095400.jpg
I can't keep up with the feeding . This is around 8 pounds .
20200907_095914.jpg
I don't stress it out . I grind one , then get ready to do the next . If it's gonna be a while I pull the head , put it in a bowl and put it in the fridge . Don't normally do that though .

I think it's either a Weston , Waring , or Kitchener . I'm leaning Kitchener , but those 3 are somewhat the same .
I have no issues with it heating up . I grind maybe 2 butts and a brisket when I process .
Meat is always cold going in .
View attachment 698200
I can't keep up with the feeding . This is around 8 pounds .
View attachment 698201
I don't stress it out . I grind one , then get ready to do the next . If it's gonna be a while I pull the head , put it in a bowl and put it in the fridge . Don't normally do that though .
Thanks for the info! I've run mine for grinding up to about 200 pounds of meat and it goes pretty well. Like you it's about as fast as one man can cut, feed, and keep up with... since I'm usually the only one doing all the work lol. I'll keep this all in mind should mine die out on me. I hope it keeps going strong as it is showing no signs of dying but ya never know :D

Reactions: chopsaw
View attachment 698190
View attachment 698191
View attachment 698192
See it comes with just two plates? I use all three on mine sometimes.

Mine came with a 1/4" - 1/8" and the kidney plate . I normally do 1 grind through the larger plate . Use the small one every now and then .
You should be able to get different sized plates for it .

See it comes with just two plates? I use all three on mine sometimes.
The Weston in my reply comes with 8mm, 4.5mm, and 3mm plates. Also a plastic kidney plate meant for use with the stuffing tubes. It'll grind one pass with the 4.5 if you feed it smallish chunks (1 inch). Or you can do less knifework and do a grind through the 8mm and run it through again on the 4.5mm to get a medium grind.

So I think I decided on this. Probably get a 10mm plate while it ship free. Going to wait until fathers day in case of sale. Make me a good Birthday Gift:emoji_wink:

Reactions: tallbm and chopsaw
I've got the LEM .#8 big bite stuffer. My thinking was it's a buy once/cry once type thing. I make generally only make 5 to 10 lb batches and it's probably overkill for what I do. It's all stainless and you can easily get parts if anything goes wrong.

So I think I decided on this. Probably get a 10mm plate while it ship free. Going to wait until fathers day in case of sale.
I used mine again this morning . You should be happy with it . I bought mine in 2014 . Still going strong after a bunch of hours on it . That's not an entry level grinder , should last you a long time .

I used mine again this morning . You should be happy with it . I bought mine in 2014 . Still going strong after a bunch of hours on it . That's not an entry level grinder , should last you a long time .
Well no sales I guess but I ordered a $250 gift card with 10% off so I will make my own sale.

That’s a great stuffer.
Absolutely! The only stuffer I've found to be able to do 9mm tubes well and also not waste too much meat. The motor for the #10 is the same wattage as for the larger 20# and 30# LEM models, but the cylinder is smaller in both diameter and length for the #10. The awesome result is that it not only wastes less meat, but it also has more relative strength than the larger models.

I'm so happy with it.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky