My first Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meatallica

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2017
Northeast, Md
Built a uds yesterday. This is my first time smoking. 12 hr smoke. Looks good, Temp is a little high, but my digital thermometer didnt arrive in time. Used a reg meat therm. The bits that were stuck to the grate tasted pretty damn good. Letting it rest for a while. Will update when we eat

Getting an oil change right now. Won't know till i get home. My son is coming over for lunch later. Pulled pork sammies and potato salad

Looks good. Nice bark on it! What kind of cut you use? And anything special about the rub? Minus the salt ofcourse. Good job on your first smoke! Temperature is a pain at first, but you catch on the dos and donts the more you smoke.

Tastes pretty good. Slightly salty bark, but I know that's my fault. I'll use less in my rub next time. Overall, I'm happy
Nice Job for your first smoke on an UDS!

I have found that many of the store bought rubs are too high in salt for my taste.  I prefer to blend my own, there are some great recipes on here.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

It was a 10lb. shoulder. The rub was just something I found while researching smoking. Nuthin fancy. Cooking temperature was a problem at 1st. I had 2- 3/4 nipples with caps, one elbow with length of pipe and ball valve. Took black pipe and valve off and replaced with just valve. Pipe looked nice, but couldn't maintain air flow. Function over form, right? Cooking temp fluctuated all night between 200-250. I did my best to control it with the ball valve. Was that from the combination of KB and Royal Oak? Any help would be greatly appreciated

It was a 10lb. shoulder. The rub was just something I found while researching smoking. Nuthin fancy. Cooking temperature was a problem at 1st. I had 2- 3/4 nipples with caps, one elbow with length of pipe and ball valve. Took black pipe and valve off and replaced with just valve. Pipe looked nice, but couldn't maintain air flow. Function over form, right? Cooking temp fluctuated all night between 200-250. I did my best to control it with the ball valve. Was that from the combination of KB and Royal Oak? Any help would be greatly appreciated
​For the UDS IMHO

Charcoal can burn at different temps, I stick to Kingsford in my drum and use lump in my stick burner.

The easy way to control temp is to get a BBQ Guru DigiQ and fan.  However those will set you back $200-$300. so.....

Make sure it is well sealed off.

I assume you have a Charcoal basket, is it set above the inlet?  If not, make a basket and make sure it sits above the inlet, bricks or welding in some rebar will work.

I would run some test fires, use the minion method, mix small chunks of wood in with the cold charcoal, then pour a small amount of lit charcoal on top.  You should not need that much air to keep it going at 225.  Keep playing with the ratios until you get the right slow burn at the correct temp.  Make sure you take a lot of notes!

For the Shoulder IMHO

I run a sweeter rub with some heat from black pepper, chili powder, and cayenne

When you hit the stall (150-160) I would wrap it, add some liquid (beer, root beer, dr. pepper, veggie stock, etc..)

Put it back on and let it run until the IT is right at 200, Pull it and let it rest wrapped for a good hour  before pulling.

When you unwrap it, save the juices.  Separate the fat off and pour the juice in with your pulled pork.

In all honesty, typically my pulled pork tastes better the second day after sitting in the fridge...

Just my thoughts, it is all trial and error.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky