More Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
147℉ or so IT, time to pull...
View attachment 695957

Out of the smoke and on the counter to cool...
View attachment 695958

Will bag and in the fridge overnight, slicing tomorrow or Saturday. Notice the size difference between the belly on the right which was cured in a bag and the other 2 which were not bagged...
Notice that dry surface difference? The curing process did that.

There is a slight difference in taste as well. Enjoy
Thanks Eric. From the previous time curing with the pepper/garlic seasoning, I have determined that that's my favorite taste so far, so this may not be a fair comparison between true dry cured and dry cured/bagged bacon...😉 But both will be delicious, I'm sure. I think I'm going to wait at least 48 hours before slicing. My zoo is already lining up for a share...

Thanks Eric. From the previous time curing with the pepper/garlic seasoning, I have determined that that's my favorite taste so far, so this may not be a fair comparison between true dry cured and dry cured/bagged bacon...😉 But both will be delicious, I'm sure. I think I'm going to wait at least 48 hours before slicing. My zoo is already lining up for a share...
Yes. They both will be delicious that’s for sure. Overall in making and cooking and final taste the dry is just better. It even slices better.

Well it's all sliced and bagged. Fried up some of both and they're both really good, but I like the pepper/garlic the best. Biggest change for me this time was reducing the salt by .25% or 1.50% down to 1.25% total salt. I think I've found my happy place with curing bacon...
20240504_075205[1].jpg

Bagged on the left and true dry cured with the white pepper and garlic seasoning on the right. You can see by the size of the slices how much more the true dry cured shrinks. These were all about the same size bellies.

20240504_090414[1].jpg

Well it's all sliced and bagged. Fried up some of both and they're both really good, but I like the pepper/garlic the best. Biggest change for me this time was reducing the salt by .25% or 1.50% down to 1.25% total salt. I think I've found my happy place with curing bacon...
View attachment 696065
Bagged on the left and true dry cured with the white pepper and garlic seasoning on the right. You can see by the size of the slices how much more the true dry cured shrinks. These were all about the same size bellies.

View attachment 696066
Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke after the 14 day curing process on the bacon, is the bacon safe to eat. Or does the bacon got to go thru the smoking session to be safe to eat?

All I know is all that bacon is making me hungry. Looks awesome.

Thanks.

Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke after the 14 day curing process on the bacon, is the bacon safe to eat. Or does the bacon got to go thru the smoking session to be safe to eat?

All I know is all that bacon is making me hungry. Looks awesome.

Thanks.
It still needs to be smoked to an IT of at least 145℉. It can then be eaten right off the smoker, but resting in the fridge a couple of days before slicing and frying is best...

It still needs to be smoked to an IT of at least 145℉. It can then be eaten right off the smoker, but resting in the fridge a couple of days before slicing and frying is best...
OK thanks. I thought it still needed to be smoked to a IT of 145°f, but wasn't a 100%sure.

Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky