MES30 not getting to temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chuck230

Original poster
Jul 26, 2023
Hey all,

Been lurking here for a bit, just delivered on an incredible pork butt at a weekend cookout due to some tips from here, mailbox mod, etc. I did have a bit of an issue with the temperature control - the MES30's probe believed it was heated to 275, but my external thermometer I had to measure ambient was coming in a good 30-35 degrees cooler. Obviously I know that the heating element won't come on to increase temp if the unit itself thinks it's already at temp. Even before adding smoke/meat I wasn't able to get it much above a ~243 ambient (according to my external thermometer).

Is there any way to recalibrate / reset the probe on the MES to try and alleviate this, aside from replacing some of the internals entirely? Anything obvious I might be missing?

Thanks.

Reactions: JLeonard
Hey all,

Been lurking here for a bit, just delivered on an incredible pork butt at a weekend cookout due to some tips from here, mailbox mod, etc. I did have a bit of an issue with the temperature control - the MES30's probe believed it was heated to 275, but my external thermometer I had to measure ambient was coming in a good 30-35 degrees cooler. Obviously I know that the heating element won't come on to increase temp if the unit itself thinks it's already at temp. Even before adding smoke/meat I wasn't able to get it much above a ~243 ambient (according to my external thermometer).

Is there any way to recalibrate / reset the probe on the MES to try and alleviate this, aside from replacing some of the internals entirely? Anything obvious I might be missing?

Thanks.

The MES is notorious for temp swings and the built in probes are noted for being inaccurate.

That being said not getting up to temp may be another issue altogether. tallbm tallbm is our resident MES guru and I'm sure will chime in shortly.

One thing he will suggest is to do a simple rewire that bypasses the stock controller and add an Auber PID. Once set to temp you'll have it will hold +/- 1degree of set temp. The PID turns the MES into an insanely awesome smoker.

Reactions: chuck230 and tallbm
I also had similar issues. From another member’s experience/observation if you have the glass door make sure not facing sun. Secondly, make sure all the sensors on back of smoker are thoroughly cleaned along with metal cover that sits atop of heating element. I considered an external PID controller, but so far being more diligent in cleaning I’ve had good results. My Thermapro probe stays pretty much +/- 10 degrees of inputted smoker temp.
If this doesn’t help then might consider external PID. Some very good posts with step by step instructions.

Reactions: chuck230 and tallbm
Hey all,

Thanks.
Hi there and welcome!

Basically there is not much you can do.
The only thing that comes to mind is to make sure you cook your food on the lowest rack so you get the greatest heat since it's hotter the lower you are in the smoker... if all the extra crap is moved and the heating element is exposed bare. Can't attest to which rack is hottest with all that stuff in place.

If you decide you want to transform your smoker into a beast then we can talk about the simple rewire and using a PID controller. Short of that I think you have what you have.

Reactions: chuck230
Thanks for the responses so far. I do have the smoker out of the sun so no issue there. I may go ahead and take off the shield above the heating element and take a run at a brisket before I look into new controllers. A quick google for Auber PID comes up with a bunch of $100-120 results - that sound right for what I am in for if I go that route?

Thanks again.

A quick google for Auber PID comes up with a bunch of $100-120 results - that sound right for what I am in for if I go that route?

Thanks again.

Depends on the model but those prices are in the ballpark. Some can be more depending on the wattage they can handle.

Thanks for the responses so far. I do have the smoker out of the sun so no issue there. I may go ahead and take off the shield above the heating element and take a run at a brisket before I look into new controllers. A quick google for Auber PID comes up with a bunch of $100-120 results - that sound right for what I am in for if I go that route?

Thanks again.

I would suggest this one with the multi-purpose probe. It will support an MES 30 or 40 if you ever decided to upgrade. Honestly, to me, the best electric smoker is a used or free MES40 that you rewire and slap a PID controller onto. So when I say upgrade you may get someones "curb" special where the top controller crapped out on them and a rewire saves the day and you have something 25x more amazing then it could have ever been brand new :D
($150-160)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky