MES 30" won't get to temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DetroitMoose

Original poster
Jun 8, 2024
Spent the last hour looking through posts here and elsewhere online for an answer, so decided to post a new thread. I've only had my MES 30" for about a month now and I'm using it today for the 3rd time. Set the temp on the MES at 275 F for a port shoulder per some wisdom provided on my previous post. I have a temp gauge inside to double check the temp, but the internal temp only gets to about 230 F. Outdoor temp is in the mid-80s today, cleaned the temp probes inside the smoker, and I left the water pan dry per another post I read. Still won't go beyond 230 F hours into my smoke. I'm open to any suggestions!

Spent the last hour looking through posts here and elsewhere online for an answer, so decided to post a new thread. I've only had my MES 30" for about a month now and I'm using it today for the 3rd time. Set the temp on the MES at 275 F for a port shoulder per some wisdom provided on my previous post. I have a temp gauge inside to double check the temp, but the internal temp only gets to about 230 F. Outdoor temp is in the mid-80s today, cleaned the temp probes inside the smoker, and I left the water pan dry per another post I read. Still won't go beyond 230 F hours into my smoke. I'm open to any suggestions!
A guy in FB group has mentioned that if your drip pan is blocking air flow it can cause this. You should have room on all side of the drip pan for air to flow around it.

I have a 10 year old MES30 and never had that problem. I've done my own research and seen the discussions here, but I use water in the pan. Never had an issue with it coming to temp.

Except when the element failed, but that was a total failure. The wire connection to the element in the back burned through. $28 element and a bit of hand tool skills fixed it.

The smoker is designed to work with the pan AND water. It shouldn't, NOT, come to temp configured as designed. I dont have a fix for it. It's probably something with the temp control and the element is not heating properly. It should stay on until it satisfies the thermostat regardless of the water pan obstruction. You may have overcome the issue in the short term, but if it is still under warranty I would contact them (if customer service still exists these days) and explain the problem. You might get some help. I cant vouch for them, I haven't done that, but if I were in your shoes I would at least try. You shouldn't have to move the pan just to get the box to the temp it tells you its designed for.

You are a LIFE SAVER! That made the difference. Up to 275! Thanks!!!
Hi there and welcome!

Yep airflow getting directed around is a thing in these smokers.
Glad you got it sorted out and good on you for not following the stock MES temp gauges, they are always wrong hahaha.

I have a 10 year old MES30 and never had that problem. I've done my own research and seen the discussions here, but I use water in the pan. Never had an issue with it coming to temp.

Except when the element failed, but that was a total failure. The wire connection to the element in the back burned through. $28 element and a bit of hand tool skills fixed it.

The smoker is designed to work with the pan AND water. It shouldn't, NOT, come to temp configured as designed. I dont have a fix for it. It's probably something with the temp control and the element is not heating properly. It should stay on until it satisfies the thermostat regardless of the water pan obstruction. You may have overcome the issue in the short term, but if it is still under warranty I would contact them (if customer service still exists these days) and explain the problem. You might get some help. I cant vouch for them, I haven't done that, but if I were in your shoes I would at least try. You shouldn't have to move the pan just to get the box to the temp it tells you its designed for.
Thank you for that insight. So, what was causing my issue was clearly inexperience. I had the pork shoulder on the top rack and had an aluminum pan on the next rack down serving as a drip pan. I also had a chuck roast further down with yet another drip pan, followed by the one that comes with the smoker. I removed the two disposable pans, leaving the one that came with the smoker in place. That's what ultimately solved the issue. Trying to keep things clean and didn't realize it would impact the temp as much as it did. So definitely seems to be functioning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky