Lube you knife and plate before grinding?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
I was on Waltons site looking for a new cutter and plate for my grinder and started reading an article on, "Tips on Grinding Like a Pro." Everything is what I'd expect to find in a tips article until I read this,
" White Oil on Everything
There is a reason we sell a lot of white oil to commercial processors, they use it to lubricate everything. We say it all the time but it’s worth repeating, oil your plates and knives before you start your grinder. If you do not lubricate them you are going to have metal on metal which will create friction and friction causes heat which will damage your product and remember, heat is the enemy during this stage."

I've been making sausage for a long time and this is the first time I've ever heard of this practice. Not saying it's a bad idea, but still never heard of anyone doing it.
Does anyone do this?
Here's the link for ya.
https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/387/meatgistics-5-tips-to-grind-like-a-pro

Does anyone do this?
I do , but I just use cooking spray on the knife and both side of the plate . After
I put it together I put a little water down the chute and let it run past the auger and the die .

Yup, I do it too. I rub some peanut oil on the blade and plate, then I have a spray can of food grade silicone lubricant for the auger/motor connection. Give it a try, if nothing else you’ll find your plate and blade have a nice new shine to them once you’re done. ;)

Dan I do lube mine also and I like to lube after cleaning,so as to prevent any rust.
Richie

Reactions: S-met
Haha, I guess I live a sheltered life. I'll start doing it when I get my new knives

I usually just put the knive in, put a little piece of fat or meat by the knive then put the plate on. as you see there are lot's of ways to lube them up a little.

I never remember my grandpap lubing plates or knives.

I use a mineral oil food grade lube...
Food Grade Grease.jpg

PC brings up a point. If we’re all being honest, something that hasn’t really been mentioned in specific is, in my experience, the knife/auger still always gets warm eventually. It’s not as if oiling is a cure-all, or a trick to avoid friction altogether. I’ve never done any scientific checking to see if my grinder parts were hotter after a grind with or without.

Maybe it’s all placebo, but I have to assume it will help at least a little, so I do it personally. But yeah, also consider, commercial operations that are running their grinders pretty much all day - yeah, you're going to need A LOT a lube.

I say whatever leaves you happy at the end of the day (that you've not gone outside safe food handling guidelines) is the way to go. :emoji_ok_hand:

Last edited:
it's more for when you first start up the grinder so metal not going against metal, it's only a second or two before the meat itself will lube it but over time it will dull your knives and plates

Reactions: indaswamp
Dan,
I do lube the plate prior to the first initial grind. This will help with friction from knife contact on the plate while the grinder is on before the meat makes contact with the plate and knife on initial grind. Once the meat makes contact, the meat juices and fat help to lube the plate and knife....YMMV...

Yep...A good shot of Pam...JJ

Reactions: S-met
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky