Let's Build A Smokehouse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Reactions: HalfSmoked
They have thermal couplers/pilot systems as well. They run about 300 bucks but you can plumb your own burner to it, so that saves some.

https://tejassmokers.com/Gas-Pilot-Safety-Valves/545
This is what I was thinking. The PID part is you add a solenoid-controlled gas valve that the PID controls the burner gas by temp, i.e. it works with the pilot and thermocouple. Basically you are just building a gas oven with the same protections as the house oven.

I'm curious as it says only if the pilot light goes out... Thought I seen one that turns off everything if the main fire blows out as well ??
With this system you have the main burner cycle just like the house oven, i.e. you tune the burner to optimum burning pressure and then cycle it off and on.

If you want to run a variable pressure burner there are double thermocouple valves that can have one in the pilot and main burner as a back up.....

I have to say, I had propane before now and it was fine.
This forum gave me idea to consider change to electric, while figuring my retro smoker build . I am very glad. I joke with my wife that its more accurate than the propane oven we have, but it really is. It did cost more, but the pinpoint temps and fast recovery times (open door ) are pretty awesome. I'm sure you could do it with propane , tight temps and fast recovery, etc.
It just wasn't something I could handle either, the electricity I could do.
The build looks great and very accurate. Hope it works out perfect for you!

Oh Rick that system in the link will also work with a needle valve setup for the burner gas. If the burner blows out the pilot will relight it as well. I have also seen people put the thermocouple in the burner flame vs the pilot flame in this configuration so if the blow out is more than a few moments then the gas is shut off. If you call Tejas they will walk you through how to set it up.

The other thing is to have low point gas outlet so if for any reason something happens then the gas can escape out the low point opening. This opening can also act as the oxygen supply needed for burning.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
One more thing to add. Since you don't have power, there are thermostat controlled gas valves that don't need power. IE this will turn the burner off and on based on the mechanical thermostat control that will work with the safety valve. It's not as good as a PID controlled valve but it would be very effective for your no power situation. I'm betting Tejas can provide the whole setup for you.

I'm curious as it says only if the pilot light goes out... Thought I seen one that turns off everything if the main fire blows out as well ??
If the pilot goes out the main gas needs shut off, but if the burner gets a puff of wind and goes out and the pilot stays lit, then it will relight the burner. To me, the pilot is key and is where the thermal couple should hooked to.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Honestly, I think all the safety stuff is overkill for a smokehouse. I will never argue with someone who wants the safety in place and if you want a set and forget set up with gas then the safety features as well as temp alarms are a must.

In my smokehouse I use a simple turkey fryer burner. I have a 4”x10” air intake low almost at ground level, (screened) in the front and a 4x10 exhaust high on the back wall. This creates very good draft or ventilation. I baby sit my smoker every 15-30 minutes, so I’m constantly checking temps and flame. Twice I have had the burner blow out, both times in windy/gusty conditions. I shut off the tank, open bottom and top doors, air out, relight and smoke on. I’ve never had a flame issue on a calm day and is now the only time I use the smokehouse. I have other ways to smoke meat in a pinch or just wait a day or three for clear weather.

In the beginning I smoldered wood chunks in a cast pan on top of the burner. If I had smoke rolling out the exhaust I had flame, if smoked stopped you better go check. Now I use a smoke generator, so smoke rolles regardless but I have a good maintenance system down and my smokehouse works very well for me. Simple, relatively cheap and very effective. YMMV.

Reactions: WI Smoker77
I use to have blow outs often, but after closing off the outer row of jets on the burner with 4D nails, I have had no issues at all. I also use a low pressure regulator, not a high pressure one. I bought a very good needle valve from Tejas and I can dial the flame down very well...will hold and not flare up or die down.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I use to have blow outs often, but after closing off the outer row of jets on the burner with 4D nails, I have had no issues at all. I also use a low pressure regulator, not a high pressure one. I bought a very good needle valve from Tejas and I can dial the flame down very well...will hold and not flare up or die down.
Needle valve is essential.

Reactions: indaswamp
Got it shingled, ran out of brown so we used up some black, no biggie, not smoking on the roof.

IMG_8305 2.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky